Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Leupold VX3i or Zeiss Conquest HD5 Scope >

Leupold VX3i or Zeiss Conquest HD5 Scope

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Leupold VX3i or Zeiss Conquest HD5 Scope

Old 12-11-2017, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

For starters, consider stepping down the Leupold ladder to a VX-2---the light transmission should be almost identical between the VX3 and the VX2, but if you can get the VX3 at VX2 prices, go for it!

You can go to the scope rack at a store like Academy, look through each one, and see if you notice any difference. If you do this, compare it to the Vortex Viper in 4x12x40 or 6.5x20.50 (VX-3 equivalent), Vortex Diamondback (maybe between VX-2 and VX-1 equivalent) and the Nikon Monarch 3 (VX-3 equivalent) and Nikon Prostaff 5 (VX-2 equivalent).
Old 12-11-2017, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm simply persuaded that past a certain threshold ($250-300?), that light transfusion improvement is marginal at best with each jump in price points. That may not have been the case 20 or even 10 years ago. Going up in price does gain you clarity at longer distances, and perhaps better long-term resistance to heavy magnum recoil (from the standpoint of holding zero), neither which you seem to need.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

For the purpose you stated I would buy the VX-3i. The Zeiss is a nice scope but to my eyes it is not brighter than the VX-3i, and the 15X top magnification is simply not needed. A friend has the Conquest HD5 and it is pretty good for a 1" tube scope but most probably overpriced even with the sale price. I have used the VX-3i scopes since they were introduced and think they are quite good quality for the price.

To do much better than the two scopes you listed I believe you would have to go up to a 30 mm tube such as the VX-6 line of Leupold.

Look through the scopes with your own eyes. Whatever pleases my eye may not please yours.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
Look through the scopes with your own eyes. Whatever pleases my eye may not please yours.
Real good suggestion there. Before they closed I was at our local Gander Mountain and they had about a dozen scopes all the way from entry level to Zeiss mounted on fake gun stocks. You could look at the other end of the store at a sign or something on the wall and compare optics at least how they look inside a store. Comparing side by side one after another there was a huge difference in both focus quality and brightness. Both the Zeiss and Leopold lines have great guarantee and I own models of each and both are quality scopes. There are a lot of nice quality scopes under 500 dollars. I happen to like Zeiss and have used one of their older models for over 20 years without any problems.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:54 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:17 PM
Spike

Does a 50mm really give you any added light transmission over a 40mm?
Old 12-15-2017, 12:50 PM
Spike

If you buy the Leupold, bring a channel lock pliers with you to turn the magnification dial. They don't move in the cold weather.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:15 PM
Typical Buck

Those two scopes aren’t even in the same class. The Zeiss HD5 is several notches above the Vx-3i .... even above the VX-5 and VX-6.

I’ve heard it said many times and I agree: Buy the best glass you can possibly afford. That Zeiss is awesome glass.