Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Same deer shot by two hunters

Old 12-08-2017, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rogerstv
I agree with mrbb.

What if the old man never showed up??
Then the kid tagged the deer. Did you bother reading the post OT made on the situation?
Old 12-08-2017, 12:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

mrbb, do you have any idea how silly you sound trying to justify your ridiculous idea? I suppose not, otherwise you would not continue to be so obtuse. Here is a little news flash for you. I was never off duty, when I or any other WCO is in the field and sees something that had to do with the job they are on duty right now, just like any other police officer. You are wrong on on your beliefs on what happened, you are wrong on your belief that any laws were violated and you were wrong trying argue that you were correct. I have no idea what possessed you to make the spectacle out of yourself that you did and then continue to try justify your position with even more ridiculous attempts to make yourself correct but it didn't help your position. I am glad you are done with this thread. I was starting to feel bad for you. I am done as well, I am still trying to figure out how a little story about a kid that made an adult decision, and a good one, got denigrated by you because you wrongly decided the kid violated the law and just would't leave it go before it got to this point. I am still trying to understand your motive. I reckon I never will and at this point it is unimportant.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 12-08-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I am still trying to figure out how a little story about a kid that made an adult decision, and a good one, got denigrated by you because you wrongly decided the kid violated the law and just would't leave it go before it got to this point. I am still trying to understand your motive. I reckon I never will and at this point it is unimportant.
Some people are just "blessed" with a special kind of goofy.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:29 PM
Dominant Buck

I can agree but then again it did generate some posts which makes it a bit more fun. It is nice to have something to talk about from time to time. Speaking of time isn't it getting to around the time when you do your meat hunt flags? I got my #2 (110 pound doe) hanging since early in the week. I'll start the processing Sunday. 2 is all I care to deal with so my guns are clean and in the safe. Time for ice fishing.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

You wounded the deer, he killed the deer, it's his...
Old 12-08-2017, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of tennis being played here, all of which makes me glad I live in a decisive state. Kansas law is first blood. So in the OP's circumstance, if it had happened in Kansas, if nobody showed up, the kid keeps and tags it, if he did show up, as in the OP's story, the old man legally had to tag the deer.

As a hunter, however, it's pretty obvious when someone else has perforated the deer you shoot. Maybe the deer is moving fine and you don't notice a wound before you shoot, but once you touch them on the ground, having an extra set of holes is a pretty good indicator of a "first blood" shot.

I've heard there are states where the law is "last shot," or "killing shot," and I've heard there are many states with no law. I hope in those states, an agreement can be made easily enough between the hunters.

To the tennis match above - if a guy wants to keep hunting and give away his deer, why would he have shot at all? That defies logic to me. It's a different thing to talk about a poacher who uses his buddy's tag instead of his own, that's a far stretch in a conversation about "first blood vs. killing blow" possession rights.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Speaking of time isn't it getting to around the time when you do your meat hunt flags?
Yep. I'll probably go right after Christmas. Not hunting CO this year, just gonna try for a doe in TX. I've got quite a bit left from last year so I just want 1 doe. I'll pull the straps and loins and keep the steaks from one hind quarter and grind the rest. I'm out of sausage and that is where most of a doe will go.

I went last week but the place I hunt only lets me take does. He sells hunts for bucks so I let them walk. I saw several good bucks but only one doe and she was moving at a pretty fast clip. Our season runs to Feb so I don't take a running shot. Not worth wounding and possibly losing one and I've got time.

Going trout fishing tomorrow. They stocked the local lake. Wish they were wild trout like I grew up catching in CO but this is the best I can do here in TX.

Cheers.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:16 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by royalkangaroo
Hey all, brand new to the forum. I've been hunting in Vermont for 7 years now, taken two deer over that time. This past weekend during our muzzleloader season, I was hunting a distant relative's property for the first time. One other gentleman was hunting there as well whom I actually bumped into on my way through the woods.

Around 8:30am, I had a line of doe come through and I placed a shot on the largest one I saw. About 60 seconds later I heard a shot presumably from the other hunter. As I got up to track the doe, I came upon him standing with the deer down about 50 yards from where I had shot.

My shot was a little far back, puncturing the diaphram and grazed the stomach from what I could tell. (Maybe a bit of lung? There was a pretty heavy bright blood trail) His shot was on the spine at the base of the neck.

We were both unsure what to do next. After a friendly conversation, dressing the deer together, and some hem and hawing, I decided to offer up the deer for him to tag.

Seems that this is a coin toss situation. Some people I talk to say first blood should take the harvest (within a reasonable distance), others say kill shot. I'm curious of your folks' input!
Knife fight. First to draw blood wins.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
mrbb, do you have any idea how silly you sound trying to justify your ridiculous idea? I suppose not, otherwise you would not continue to be so obtuse. Here is a little news flash for you. I was never off duty, when I or any other WCO is in the field and sees something that had to do with the job they are on duty right now, just like any other police officer. You are wrong on on your beliefs on what happened, you are wrong on your belief that any laws were violated and you were wrong trying argue that you were correct. I have no idea what possessed you to make the spectacle out of yourself that you did and then continue to try justify your position with even more ridiculous attempts to make yourself correct but it didn't help your position. I am glad you are done with this thread. I was starting to feel bad for you. I am done as well, I am still trying to figure out how a little story about a kid that made an adult decision, and a good one, got denigrated by you because you wrongly decided the kid violated the law and just would't leave it go before it got to this point. I am still trying to understand your motive. I reckon I never will and at this point it is unimportant.
well I did say I was done here, but due to some REAL information from the PA game commission I will add this here
and I was NOT wrong at all, so all of you that said negative thing about me< well guess what, LEGALLY I was spot on>

the story NEVER said the GAME WARDEN MADE THE CALL TO DO WHAT WAS DONE< was stated the BOY made the call, which was ILLEGAL!

thus is a direct quote from the PA Game commission based of the story said here! and the game code !
SO??

Good morning,

Section 2304 of the Game and Wildlife Code states that game or wildlife lawfully killed shall be the property of the person who inflicts the mortal wound, which enables the person to take possession of the carcass. Section 2323 of the Game and Wildlife Code addresses tagging and reporting of big game kills and states that each licensed person who kills any big game shall immediately after the killing and before removing the big game from the location of the killing, fully complete the proper game kill tag in compliance with the instructions printed on the tag and attach only the game kill tag to the big game.

It is a technical violation of the game and wildlife code for a person to tag a big game animal on which they did not inflict the mortal wound.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:21 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by mrbb

Section 2304 of the Game and Wildlife Code states that game or wildlife lawfully killed shall be the property of the person who inflicts the mortal wound, which enables the person to take possession of the carcass.

It is a technical violation of the game and wildlife code for a person to tag a big game animal on which they did not inflict the mortal wound.
Not arguing one way or another but how do you know the first shot wasn't a mortal wound? Heart could have been blown out and if someone else shoots it again in the spine and drops it, you think the person that took the 2nd spine shot should tag it?

Seems like a bit of a grey area and I would hope most adults could work it out themselves, as happened in the original thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.