Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting with an Outfitter

Old 12-05-2017, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rsmith270
IMB is a great marketing website but criminal when it comes to truly outfitting. Been twice with them and will NEVER do it again. Terrible service and don’t know anything about the properties they rent. Total cattle call. They bring as many hunters as they can, so the properties are over run constantly. Guides are taxi drivers. They don’t anything about the place. Became friends with a couple of them. They worked only one or two seasons and were sick to their stomach working for them.
That is pretty much par for the course. There are plenty of guys that would love to do it and do it right but its tough when you have to bid against people doing that stuff.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rogerstv
Well that helps the OP. If you have nothing positive to add to a post from a brand new hunter asking for advice, why comment in such a manner ??
Dude, he asked what I thought of them. I answered. If you don't like my answer, deal with it. I've seen outfitters pretty much ruin a lot of public hunting areas in my native CO.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:05 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
If you don't like my answer, deal with it.
Someone pissed in flags Wheaties again....
Old 12-06-2017, 04:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by SilverbulletM70
Someone pissed in flags Wheaties again....
Not at all. The OP clearly asked :"What are everyone's opinions on outfitters?"

I gave my answer to the OP and another member decided to take issue with my comment. I value neither his opinion nor yours in any way on this matter. I have no use for outfitters. Perhaps you do and that is fine. You answer your way and I'll answer my way.

Now, exactly what is the point in your post? What axe are trying to grind and how did your rather childish post address any of the points raised by the OP? Or are you just trying to cause trouble? Frankly other than this reply I have no time for you or people like you.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:11 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
I value neither his opinion nor yours in any way on this matter.
...and yet, you think your opinion is the only one that matters and throw a temper tantrum when anyone dares disagree. Such strong opinions on crap that doesn't matter and overall so angry. Take a midol and have a beer.

As for the use of guides/outfitters: I don't use them, but I see their place and the value for those that want to use them.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by SilverbulletM70
...and yet, you think your opinion is the only one that matters and throw a temper tantrum when anyone dares disagree.
Who is disagreeing with a anything? I gave the guy my opinion and it isn't me who is answering anyone else's response. If you have a high opinion of outfitters, fine. What do I care. Doesn't matter to me one way or the other if someone needs to book with one or has to book with one. Just not my cup of tea.

Here's the deal, you and I have clashed horns twice and both times it was you, not I who instigated it by responding to a post that wasn't directed to you in the first place. Guess what, you're simply not worth the aggravation. Welcome to the "list" where I put all the unimportant people. Feel free to respond but I'll never see anything you post from here on out.

With that I leave this thread. Not worth a ban for this.

Last edited by flags; 12-06-2017 at 06:32 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-06-2017, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been on outfitted hunts for:
- rifle whitetail in North Carolina
- Archery Elk in Idaho
- Rifle Mule Deer/Pronghorn in WY

Here's my view: If you are going for Whitetail, based on what I saw, you will learn very little about actually hunting whitetail which involves mostly scouting and stand site selection/position. The guides will bring you/Guide you to a stand, leave you, then return for you and help with anything you may have shot.

Archery elk, with the right outfitter, you can learn TONS, this is a very different hunt than scouting for whitetail and sitting in a stand. It's more interactive, calling, run and gun, dynamic setup etc. Again, you may learn some about things and it really depends on the guide, how willing they are to share, your relationship with them etc. You CAN learn a lot to jump start your elk hunting knowledge.

Mule/Pronghorn, much like elk, you can pick the guides brain as you may be with them a lot or all the time (assuming it's not a bowhunt for pronghorn over water holes which case it becomes much like a whiltetail hunt.

So yes they can help, but you have to set your expectations. Even with a whitetail hunt you can learn TONS just by being in a position to get a shot, how to move, when to move, etc.

You can also learn a decent amount from books.

All that said, nothing beat boots on the ground and experience, it's a learning curve and the outfitters can mostly give you a boost, sometimes small, sometimes decent, but you will NOT become a knowledgeable successful "on your own" hunter by hunting with a guide.