Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ethical hunting

Old 01-15-2018, 03:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well it looks like this one is probably on me. She was down when I got back, she was quartering away and I just missed the near lung and got liver and one lung. As far as practice goes I get plenty of that and I hit where I wanted to hit. I just misjudged how she was standing and where I needed to hit to get both lungs. I guess there is no way of really knowing if that was her still alive or a fawn with her when I first got there but I'd say it was probably just her.

Anyway when I first found her and thought maybe it was a fawn with her and it made me think of this thread because that can and does happen. Had that been the case and I took another shot I would have been shooting a deer after hours and out of season as it was the last day of the season.

I always just sit out the rest of the evening after I shoot one before I start tracking. I never have just one tag but this time the snow was really coming down and I couldn't find blood because the snow really accumulated after the shot. I knew that might be a problem after I shot her but I decided it was better to wait anyway and its a good thing I did because I think that was her still alive when I first found her. Had I bumped her that probably would have been game over the way the snow was piling up.

As far as coyotes ive got a really good trapper that takes care of that. I don't have much problem with yotes.

Last edited by rockport; 01-15-2018 at 03:02 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

The more I shoot coyotes around here, the more I seem to see. The old man would usually shoot 1 or 2 a week from the back door. I've cracked a few myself from the back door since he passed.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:22 AM
Spike

Congrats on your deer, sounds as though everything worked out for the best.
PS: Were you gun or archery hunting?
Old 01-15-2018, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Central PA Sportsman
Congrats on your deer, sounds as though everything worked out for the best.
PS: Were you gun or archery hunting?
Archery hunting.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hunters_life
The more I shoot coyotes around here, the more I seem to see. The old man would usually shoot 1 or 2 a week from the back door. I've cracked a few myself from the back door since he passed.
Yeah trapping is the way to go. A good trapper can get them under control pretty quick.

It works out great for me. I have a couple buddies that are really good trappers. I give them more ground to trap and in return I don't have much of a yote problem.

Last edited by rockport; 01-15-2018 at 09:45 AM.