Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The slug gun blues!

Old 12-01-2017, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

I had about the same issue with slugs guns. I’m not sure about the correctness of this but I told myself it’s the trigger on the shotgun that makes it hard to shoot like a rifle. I bought a savage 220 and it shoots just like a rifle. Guess I just needed another reason the buy a gun good luck
Old 12-01-2017, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Jack Ryan
So HOW do you know those guns are capable of 2-3" groups?

I had trouble with Lightfield slugs in one of my guns. One time I'd get a GREAT 3 shot group. Make the appropriate adjustment. Then the next shot was a mile off. I'd shoot THREE for a group and it would all barely fit on a 5 gallon bucket.

I'd go through all kinds of wasted effort and it would shoot an awesome 3 shot group. I'd make an adjustment and dejavue all over again.

Finally came out one day and just sat down and shot FIVE with no changes and three looked awesome, the other two were like a gorilla fired them. Up until then I was convinced Lightfields were the most awesome slugs on the market.

I always let the entire gun return to ambient temperature if it starts to warm up even 5 degrees.

I use a laser therm gun to keep track of barrel temps.

When I'm hunting the FIRST shot is the only one that really counts. They won't stand still for practice and warm up shots.
Remington 1100/1187 were the most popular deer hunting guns in my area before every county but mine were allowed to use rifles a few years back. Followed by the old Ithaca M37's (not to many of them w/rifled barrels). I have friends that used them and have seen a lot of guys at different ranges shooting them.

***Edited, a lot of 870's being used too.***

NYH.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

The first slug gun I ever had with a rifled barrel was a 870 12 ga. I used a side saddle scope mount with a one power scope. That thing was a shooter, it's shot 2-3" groups with Lightfields.

I stopped hunting in the shotgun area and sold the barrel to a friend that needed one. When I started hunting in the shotgun area again I went with the 1187 20 ga. and have been struggling ever since. My 1187's are creampuffs compared to the 870....shooting that was no joke.

Not much more I can do at this point. I'll get an early start with them next year. I'll make sure I clean the barrels really good and go shooting with some buddies so they can shoot them as well.

Thanks, NYH.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by New York Hunter
Remington 1100/1187 were the most popular deer hunting guns in my area before every county but mine were allowed to use rifles a few years back. Followed by the old Ithaca M37's (not to many of them w/rifled barrels). I have friends that used them and have seen a lot of guys at different ranges shooting them.

***Edited, a lot of 870's being used too.***

NYH.
So you DON'T KNOW those guns are accurate at all YET. You just know the reputation of those models.

I own Remingtons myself. I don't doubt they have the POTENTIAL to be accurate we just haven't PROVED those exact guns you have are accurate yet, actually we haven't proven they are any more accurate than the best groups you've got from them so far.

I was just suspicious this was the case.

Season is going to be over before you get to use it.

Just get two boxes of Winchester 1oz sabots and shoot three of those from a rest with out changing the sight picture or the way you shoot it. Make an adjustment to put the center of the group on the bull and shoot three more.

If that group is centered on the bull then that's the best group you are going to get.

Load up the last four in the mag and hunt accordingly to keep that group on a grape fruit.

Then when you see those sabot slugs go on sale in January get 10 boxes and get this figured out in the off season.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

I had an 11-87, mine didn't cycle well with lower end field loads and never had much accuracy with the rifled slug barrel and cantilevered scope mount. Good luck in your quest.... I switched to the Ithaca deer slayer using 3" brenneke golden slugs, kicks like a mule but accurate, grapefruit diameter including fliers, at 100 yards.

Next change was the encore rifle system, I now have a half dozen barrels including the 20GA rifled slug barrel. Using remington copper solids, 2 3/4" it delivers the grapefruit group at 150 yards. I would not hesitate to shoot this combination at 175 yards.

There are many accurate combinations out there though the same model gun and barrel may give different results. Best bet is to work on the issue prior to the season starting (as previously stated.) Good luck with next year's accuracy....
Old 12-08-2017, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default Slug Guns

Are you using a scope?
A scope being not level will do that.
Originally Posted by New York Hunter
No offense taken. Recoil doesn't bother me within reason. I've been shooting slug guns my whole deer hunting life, 26 years. The only gun that ever bothered me was my friends 1187 3 1/2" turkey gun. I shot it with 3 1/2" #2 turkey loads IIRC. That was brutal. I lost focus in my eyes for a few seconds.

However, I do believe it's a operator problem. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks, NYH1.