Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Best choice of deer rifle (T3, A7, x-bolt, 11/111, vanguard, etc) >

Best choice of deer rifle (T3, A7, x-bolt, 11/111, vanguard, etc)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: your choices of rifle
Tikka T3 lite/hunter
12.50%
browning x-bolt
6.25%
weatherby vangaurd 2
31.25%
winchester XPR
6.25%
Sako A7
0%
savage 11/111
6.25%
howa kuiu
6.25%
mossberg patriot
0%
other
31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Best choice of deer rifle (T3, A7, x-bolt, 11/111, vanguard, etc)

Old 11-26-2017, 12:30 PM
Spike

Default Best choice of deer rifle (T3, A7, x-bolt, 11/111, vanguard, etc)

have done that vast majority of my deer hunting using muzzleloader in the past, but now have moved states and am looking to get into the rifle game. I currently do not own anything for rifles, but am looking at getting something that will give me decades of satisfaction without completely breaking the bank. I've been doing some searching around the internet and its seems like these are some of the guns I've seen have some good reviews from websites and forums:

tikka T3 (lite or hunter)
browning x-bolt (pro, eclipse, hells canyon speed)
weatherby vanguard 2 or stainless synthetic
winchester XPR or model 70 featherweight
howa kuiu
Sako A7 or finnlight
savage 11/111

I have decided that I will be going the 7mm-08 route as its seems like an extremely capable cartridge for deer, but also allows some availability for my wife and children to use as they grow older. I do also hope to maybe expand my boundaries and hunt some bigger and/or smaller game. It also seems like I can hunt either a larger game including elk or moose, or something smaller like pronghorn without having too much or too little with the 7mm-08.

my question is what have you shot/owned in the past and what would you recommend? I am out in south dakota so the chance of some longer range shots is possible, but I would probably not pull the trigger on anything more than 400 yards, at least until i build up some confidence and familiarity with the gun.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have bought two Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 rifles. They are both very accurate rifles and the trigger and synthetic stock on them is superb.

The 7mm-08 is a great caliber for deer, pronghorn, and coyotes. It would also be great for your wife and kids to shoot as there’s is little recoil. I would caution you about using it for elk or moose though. They are very large animals and although any well placed bullet will kill them there is less margin for error with smaller calibers. In fact, a 7mm-08 may not even be legal in many places for moose. Check the laws where you plan to hunt.

Best of luck . . . Rob

Last edited by Rob in VT; 11-26-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

There are so many good calibers for hunting deer that there is no "best" choice. You would be better served to have the poll asked what is the worst choice.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I was looking for a new one I would look real hard at CZ. My wife bought me a Model 550 American in 9.3x62 Mauser and it has become my favorite rifle. If not a CZ my nod goes to Remington which also failed to make the above list.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

You do not say where you will be hunting at and the conditions there. This could be a deciding factor in which rifle and caliber some would recommend. I use a Remington .270 as it is a great rifle for Central Va. where I usually hunt. I mainly used a Winchester .30-.30 when I hunted in NW Pa. Both these areas are heavily wooded with no real long shots. Out West is an entirely different story.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:57 PM
Spike

That's a huge price range in rifles listed. What's your budget for the rifle? What's your budget for good glass (which is usually as much or more than the rifle itself)? Any "best" category usually comes down to budget...

Good middle of the road setup: XPR with Vortex HP glass
Money doesn't matter: Weatherby or Stainless Model 70 with Swarovski or Leopold (VX3 to VX6 range) glass
Old 11-28-2017, 01:02 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
If not a CZ my nod goes to Remington which also failed to make the above list.
Horrible triggers, lawsuits being settled...best to steer clear for awhile until they get their stuff together....
Old 11-28-2017, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by SilverbulletM70
Horrible triggers, lawsuits being settled...best to steer clear for awhile until they get their stuff together....
Oh that's a total load of BS!
Old 11-29-2017, 03:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by SilverbulletM70
BS. I have been shooting Remingtons for decades. Their triggers are fully adjustable and the lawsuit was BS as well. Get back to me when you have some actual experience with firearms.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MWWTH
am looking at getting something that will give me decades of satisfaction without completely breaking the bank. I've been doing some searching around the internet and its seems like these are some of the guns I've seen have some good reviews from websites and forums:
Using only the choices you have listed I would choose either the Browning or the Vanguard (made by Howa). However, without that restriction I would choose a standard Remington 700 for the purposes you have described.

There is a very large selection of aftermarket choices for the Remington, including youth stocks, triggers, etc. that may be hard to find for the other models. I have had rifles from many different manufacturers and the 700 shot just as well and was just as reliable as any of them, and frankly better than most.

Using "reviews" from websites and forums will sometimes give very poor information upon which to base real world choices. Some (too many) guys spend their time with their keyboards and apparently not enough time shooting. There are millions of Remington 700 rifles in the hands of hunters and shooters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.