Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Youth deer rifle choice

Old 05-25-2020, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

.44 mag is a good choice. He can keep using that indefinitely or try something stouter when he gets full grown.

Recently my 10 year old nephew got into shooting. He's been hunting with me before with his BB gun. Mainly learning how to sit still and watching what I do. We set him up with a .357 and .410 levergun to see what he liked. Still got to make purchase and zero it in by November. The weather has been weird this year but I got a double ladder stand setup last Friday. It's starting to get hot out there.

Good luck hunting with your son.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:47 AM
Spike

Nothing less than a 300 win mag.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:43 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by leo44outdoors
Nothing less than a 300 win mag.
That's a good way to frighten young hunters away from shooting rifles.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:59 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf
That's a good way to frighten young hunters away from shooting rifles.

Yep. 6.5 grendel in an ar-15 platform is hard to beat. I hunt with a lightweight ar-15 pistol in 6.5G and it's the easiest to maneuver, lightest and most comfortable little deer/pig/bear slayer I have ever used. Drape it in some camo cloth held on with a few zip ties and it disappears. Holds 800 pounds of energy out to 340 yards, almost no recoil and shoots into .75 moa.
Attached Thumbnails Youth deer rifle choice-6.5.jpg  
Old 09-20-2020, 02:51 PM
Spike

.243 will do everything you need. proper placement of your shot is key!!!
Old 09-30-2020, 04:54 PM
Spike

Just remember you want something he is gonna respect and appreciate and not want to replace in a year. Since there are so many good deer rounds, make sure he can put his hands on a few and feel like "this is the one" so he can connect with it.