Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Youth deer rifle choice

Old 11-28-2017, 04:07 AM
Fork Horn

I know this isn't on your list BUT something else to consider is a muzzleloader. My kids all started with those. These are deadly accurate, you can dial the powder back and they hardly kick at all AND this will also expand their hunting season for 2 more weeks! As the kids grow older, they can increase the powder charge for extended ranges.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 11-28-2017, 05:15 AM
Typical Buck

My granddaughter uses an H&R single shot youth 223 with 53 grain ballistic tips and a red dot. Wicked combo, but not for brush. No kick, to tracking, good little starter gun.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hello I'm Indiana too with 3 daughters I got shooting at an early age. With the way our current laws are, a high powered rifle is only good for private land. One of those pistol caliber rifles would be good for anywhere.

A .357 rifle is extremely tame, good for practice. However I only really use hot 180 grain reloads for deer. A .44 magnum would be OK to practice with but better for the deer. A 20 gauge or .450 Bushmaster might be too heavy or kick too much.

If your just hunting private land a .243 would be perfect.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

243win.
6.5 creedmoor
7mm-08
Old 11-29-2017, 04:24 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks
We will be private land only. A friend of mine has a .44 mag that his son uses which I am going to let my son use. I appreciate all the responses but I still think (knowing my son) that the .243 and similar size rifle rounds will be too much for him. I thought about the muzzle loader but being his first real time practicing with a long gun I don't want to mess with the cleaning etc. to get him some range time in. Once he has a season or two under his belt and has more range time I will get him a ML.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:05 AM
Typical Buck

I know this thread is an old one but time for an update. This past Christmas I ended up getting my son a CVA Hunter single shot in .44 mag. I topped it with a Vortex scope. With the quarantine he got to start shooting this week. Since it was really his first time shooting I started off with .44 specials just so he didn't get scared of it. I shot about 5 rounds to get the scope on paper and was immediately impressed with the rifle. I just had it set up at 50 yards but the first 5 shots I took were all touching. After I knew it was close I let him fire. Call it beginners luck but his first two round ever fired could be covered with a quarter. From 50 yards I thought he missed the 2nd time. He went through 50 rounds on multiple targets and was holding a 2 inch group or so, which for a 10 year old, first time shooting I was proud of him. Sometime this summer Ill bump him up to the mags from the specials and get him dialed in for season. I was hoping to get a couple wood elevated blinds built this spring but between the weather we have had and the travel restrictions I haven't been able to. Hopefully soon.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

thanks for the insightful update
Old 04-17-2020, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

That'll do the trick! Updates are always good. Let us know how he progresses through the summer and I look forward to seeing a picture of his deer this fall!

I shot my first deer, a PA 4 pointer with a .44mag. it does the job!

-Jake
Old 04-17-2020, 06:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good job. Looks like you're doing it right. keep up the good work
Old 04-17-2020, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

i've shot allot of deer with the 44 mag both in rifle & handgun. should of never sold my cva single shot. never had a deer go further than 25 yrds . but another rifle i would like to get would be the 350 legend. here in ohio they are selling like hot cakes . with my shoulder injury i'm either going back to a 44 mag or a 350 legend .& for my inline muzzle loaders going to back down to 90 grains of powder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.