HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   poaching? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/416316-poaching.html)

grinder67 11-24-2017 05:23 AM

poaching?

I live on the edge of a small midwest town, just behind my house there is a low lying big yard with a creek running through it that had recently been sold. Well right before gun season i noticed a pop up blind on the other side of the yard. Law requires hunter orange on all four side during gun season so I put it off as maybe they had been bow hunting from it and i had not noticed it(it did not have any orange on it). About 8 this morning I heard a gun shot and looked out the window to see several deer running between my house and the creek. After some looking from my window I seen the deer that he killed. I never seen anyone get out of the blind but a short while later seen a guy walking around the yard between the blind and where the deer was laying no gun and no hunter orange. I am pretty sure he couldnt see the deer from where he was walking.

I do not have a problem with them harvesting a deer but am concerned about what direction they are shooting with a gun. Maybe 200 yards from my house(and other houses)to the blind and the lack of orange.

I dont want to be "that" neighbor but looks kinda suspicious. Should the C.O. be called just to check it out or am I being "that" neighbor?

Oldtimr 11-24-2017 05:47 AM

Do it now, you shouldn't even have to asked, report what you know and let the puke pay the consequences. Don't let anyone talk you out of it. If you don;t do something now, these clowns will just kill everything in the area. Pick up the phone and stop the game thieves!

grinder67 11-24-2017 06:48 AM

Was kinda hoping you would chime in. At the time I posted that I had already contacted the DNR told him what I seen. He made contact with the guy and determined there where no violations. The officer told me that the guy seemed to be a good hunter and everything seemed to be on the up and up. Which is good. My main concern was direction of fire.
My concern now is I may have caused an on going problem for my wife and kids and myself over a non violation. When they finally recovered the deer i could see one of the guys pointing to my house and the neighbors house. Sometimes wish I could keep my mouth shut.

Oldtimr 11-24-2017 08:23 AM

No, you did the right thing. You thought a violation had been committed and you reported it you did your part. The officers did their job and investigated and found no violation. However you said there was no orange around the blind as required and the individual who shot the deer wasn't wearing orange and that the orange was a requirement for the blind, that is curious. If nothing else the hunters now know they will have to tow the line if they are going to hunt there. If you see them again, go talk to them and feel them out, they should be happy that someone is concerned about what is happening on their property.

uncle matt 11-24-2017 11:19 AM

Im not totally familiar with the orange requirements on blinds in IN but it might be required on public land and not private land. I do believe in IN during gun seasons hunters are required to wear orange upper, outer garment and hat. But after the fact the CPO can't really do anything as the hunt is over. I do not know IN law as to distance from dwellings but in IL it is 300 yards from inhabited dwelling unless you have inhabitants permission.

Personally I would have done the "feeling out" before I called the CPO and voiced concern about no orange on his body for obvious safety reasons. Not that you would be shooting on his land but the safety commandment of knowing what is beyond your target.

Oldtimr 11-24-2017 11:26 AM

If you think a violation has been committed you should call the authorities and let them do an investigation, not feel out the people you think are violators so they are warned they may have been seen committing the violation. That is why there are professional investigators. Very little ticked me off more than when someone called in a violation and I responded and when I got to the complainants house to get the particulars they would tell me they told the violators they called the game commission and of course they were no where in sight. Let the people who get paid to do a job do their job.

JW 11-24-2017 01:16 PM

Don't hesitate call. Even if everything is on the up and up I'd have it checked.
If that blind is as you say it is.
Place the call.
But do check the regulations.
Camo ground blinds in my state on private, do NOT NEED 144 ,sq inches of blaze orange in every direction.
JW

mrbb 11-24-2017 02:55 PM

I agree call, maybe they just don't know the law or??
either way its NOT right to not play by the rules, enough slob hunters out there that make the good hunters look bad!

bornagain64 11-24-2017 03:19 PM

You did the right thing.
Your families safety is and should be your 1st concern.
Question: how do they know you called the game warden? The game warden should have never told them who placed the call.
They might might be assuming it was you, but should not know for sure.

Conquistador 11-24-2017 05:34 PM

Definitely did the right thing. No way the CO would have told them that you specifically where the one to call. I would definitely be concerned about the distance of the blind to your house, make sure it's in compliance with dnr regulations, if they are using a firearm in that blind.