Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How high do you go?

Old 11-13-2017, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Default How high do you go?

I rarely use a stand anymore. I have two 18' ladder stands I keep up for quick hunts. And I have my summit climber I pack in. I have a couple hang on stands I've used in the past for ugly trees, but they are hanging in the shed currently.

How high do you like to go in your stand? I have a 25' pull rope that I carry with me to estimate my height. When I was younger I used to always go as high as I could stretching that 25' rope for all it was worth. Then I started hunting lower and lower.

Then I built a couple platform stands for seeing into the thick stuff and some of those are only 8' high.

From my experience, higher is typically better if the set up allows it.

I've heard guys say they regularly go 35-40'. And I came across a hang on stand with screw in steps on public land a few years back that had to be pushing 50'. I think allot of people probably over estimate how high they really are.

But what's your limit, and what do you think is the optimum height?

-Jake
Old 11-13-2017, 09:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

My stand is 12 feet high, I never felt the need to have to go higher.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to be 20 feet but a lot of my ladder stands are 17 feet I believe.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

15-25 according to the landscape. If I have a trail that is in the middle of a valley then I want to be above the ridge line in case they are coming across it. I made the mistake of being in a tree in the middle of the ridge and my stand was right even with the ridge line. 15 yards and eye to eye with a very heavily antlered 12 point coming across the top was funny and sad at once. Funny because I had a feeling it would happen, sad because my feeling was spot on. Still smacked a really fat Doe almost directly under my stand that day, but that Buck was a beauty. Wouldn't have been a problem if I was firearm/muzzle loader hunting but sadly I had my old Hoyt in my hands.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

I only go as high as I have to. If the terrain is open, I will go 20'( planted pines). Probably just a personal preference, but I feel more hidden and do not worry about scent as much when I am higher up. If I can only go 12' but am concealed by trees or limbs, then I prefer that.
If I am archery hunting I will only go as high as needed, Lower stands will give you a better angle for double lung shot, higher up and you are probably only getting 1 lung.

No matter how high or low you go, always wear a safety harness.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I go from 20-25 based on terrain slope and habitat I need to get above. My drag line is 25 ft as a measure and I don't go higher when all slack is gone.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Normally I go 12' - 20' depending on terrain and cover. My average height is probably about 15'.
Regardless of how high I go I am always connected to the tree either via a life line, climbing belt or tree strap and my harness. And I always set up my stand so that I have to step down onto it from my climbing sticks.
Remember: the only time your safe from falling out of a tree is when you have both feet on the ground.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

My only tree stand is a Summit Sentry climber. I usually climb to between 10 and 18 feet, very rarely over 20. It depends on how brave I'm feeling on a given day, and if I got the angle correct at the base of the tree.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:05 AM
Spike

This high:

Old 11-14-2017, 06:05 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by BPeterson77
This high:

Believe it’s a 17-18’ stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.