Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How high do you go?

Old 11-14-2017, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

I broke my left ankle in a tree stand fall 24 years ago (my stupid fault), so no more for me. To be honest I have killed more deer on the ground than in a tree, just have to mind the wind more.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:18 AM
Typical Buck

I have had to fight the fear of heights my whole life! For years I would only hunt from ground blinds and still do if the situation warrants it. But have been able to get my butt up on some ladder stands I have that are approx. 17' and thats as high as I am gonna get. I get a lot of ribbing about it but dont let it bother me. I still kill deer.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

I have a pull rope on my climber that is 17"....I go until that is tight....that is plenty high enough in my opinion...
Old 11-18-2017, 03:31 PM
Spike

25 ft in climber, have a 25 ft pull rope go up till pulling back pack off ground.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:39 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I rarely use a stand anymore. I have two 18' ladder stands I keep up for quick hunts. And I have my summit climber I pack in. I have a couple hang on stands I've used in the past for ugly trees, but they are hanging in the shed currently.

How high do you like to go in your stand? I have a 25' pull rope that I carry with me to estimate my height. When I was younger I used to always go as high as I could stretching that 25' rope for all it was worth. Then I started hunting lower and lower.

Then I built a couple platform stands for seeing into the thick stuff and some of those are only 8' high.

From my experience, higher is typically better if the set up allows it.

I've heard guys say they regularly go 35-40'. And I came across a hang on stand with screw in steps on public land a few years back that had to be pushing 50'. I think allot of people probably over estimate how high they really are.

But what's your limit, and what do you think is the optimum height?

-Jake
What ever it takes. I don't want to be just like hanging out on a telephone pole. I want to be at least up to some background cover or break up. I have 20 foot pull or a little more. I'll go to the end of that pretty regular if I need to or even a little more to reach a fork in the tree.

I believe with a gun, higher is better.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:57 AM
Spike

I rarely do anything other than bow hunt, even during gun season, and I’ve set all of my stands at between 20-26 feet...tending toward the upper end usually.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

IMG_6406.JPG
Got this guy October 28th, from a ladder stand that is only 11' high, with no cover between him or I. Shot was only about 15 yards.
Attached Thumbnails How high do you go?-img_6452.jpg  
Old 11-23-2017, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

25' to 30'