Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Hunting an area I haven't had a chance to scout, need advice. >

Hunting an area I haven't had a chance to scout, need advice.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting an area I haven't had a chance to scout, need advice.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:02 AM
Spike

Default Hunting an area I haven't had a chance to scout, need advice.

Hello all,

This is my first year hunting and I have put in a lot of work up at my cottage. I spent my summer/early fall scouting and preparing. I've poured over maps and identified key ambush sites. I've set up blinds and a stand. Everything is all set. The problem is, my cottage is a good three hours away and due to family and work I'll only get one good trip up there. It would be nice if I could do November during the rut but it looks like I'll have to be going there in December.

Anyways, I do want to get out in the field as much as possible this season just so I can get some experience in the bush. There is a tract of public land 30min away so that means I could go there right after work and get a couple hours in, or even go for a full day the odd time. One of those odd times is Monday, as I have the day off.

I'm seeking any advice anyone can give on hunting an unscouted location. It's not ideal I know, and I've been studying maps for days but I can't get my boots on the ground until I get there to hunt.

Here is some information that might help you provide advice.

1. I will be hunting with a bow.

2. I have some leaf netting if I wanted to set up a quick blind.

3. The location i'm going is quite swampy and surrounded by farmland. There are some changes in elevation but they are limited. There is also a creek that runs through the majority of the land.

4. I believe this spot can get quite busy as it's one of the only options in the area. There is just a week long shotgun/muzzleloader controlled hunt in the area which ends on Sunday and I will be hunting it Monday when it becomes bows only again.

5. I can hunt for the entirety of the day's legal hours.

Right now my plan is to get there early and follow the main trail as deep as I can get before cutting into the bush. I figure the deeper into the swampy parts I can get, the better especially if the deer are holed up after a week of guns. Does this make sense?

Also I was wondering about whether I should just find some sign and make a quick blind with my netting, or if I should still hunt all day and treat it as both a hunt and scouting for my next outing. If I did this I could make notes of trails and sign etc. What I was leaning towards was using the blind for the morning and evening and for the midday period still hunting.

Thanks for any help anyone can give, I really appreciate it!
Old 11-10-2017, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Here's what I do on a new piece. Check out the maps and find an "easy" entrance point that looks like it may be a good spot. You're looking for a spot you can get to without tearing apart the whole woods by trying to find a spot in the dark. Start your day there. Set up before daylight, and sit there for a while.

Eventually still hunt your way in deeper, looking for sign, scouting for next time, and primarily watching for deer.

If you find a good spot, go ahead and set up. After a week of hard pressure the deer will be deep and thick. And likely won't move much at first. Although, with the woods being empty, they'll start moving. Find a heavy travel route and set up.

-Jake
Old 11-10-2017, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bocajna gives you good advice.

I'd get in there, and try to locate some place you can tell deer are moving through and set-up downwind. a well-used trail or junction, a food source, a funnel, etc. Be aware especially of trails leading from that food source and that swampy ground.

That sounds like the kind of situation where a deer will feed in the crops and move to a dry patch in the swamp to bed.