Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is he a shooter?

Old 11-09-2017, 10:33 AM
Typical Buck

A problem that I see in trying to "manage" deer for antler growth on small properties is if the deer are free to wander on and off your property, you may pass a shot at a buck hoping for him to grow, but will your neighbors?
Old 11-09-2017, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by buffybr
A problem that I see in trying to "manage" deer for antler growth on small properties is if the deer are free to wander on and off your property, you may pass a shot at a buck hoping for him to grow, but will your neighbors?
Probably not but it still works. Ive managed monsters on 40 acre properties quite a few times.

There is never a guarantee they will survive...some will and some won't.

Ive got a couple 180+ bucks Ive been trying to put a guy on for 2 years now(this will be the 3rd year) on a 40 acre property. Any of the neighbors would shoot them in a heartbeat but yet they still live.

I got the guy a shot last year but he botched it.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hunters_life
Ill be the devils advocate here a little bit. If you are trying to manage your herd on a small property like that, you actually do want to take out certain bucks and age is a key factor. Antler size and shape is certainly more than just something pretty to look at. It's also a sign of quality of genetics and health and food supply. You see a 4.5-5.5 year old buck sporting a little skinny 8 point rack, you want him out of the herd. But if he's kicking up a 140-150 inches you might just want him to go another year. Especially if all you have running around is weaker looking bucks. This year, concentrate on culling Does and taking maybe a 3.5 year old buck that doesn't look like he will sport much of anything. Take out the weaker genetics. Get your herd to a manageable level that your property can easily hold. Now, all this is also being said while not knowing what state you are in. Some states just have smaller bucks with smaller antlers and a 140-150 inch whitetail is considered a monster buck. Around here, that would be considered on the smaller side of acceptable while in Virginia most would be dancing and celebrating in the streets after taking a monster such as that.
Amen! The only deer I've ever seen in 35yrs of hunting bigger than 130 was in IL. In VA/WV where I hunt, a 120" is a stud. A 140-150" would be a giant once in a lifetime deer.

Its all about your location and herd and personal goals. Do what makes YOU happy. If I lived in IL or IA, I'd probably pass 120's all day long. Around here if I get lucky enough to see one, he's going down.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

On a small property, you'll have at least a dozen transient bucks that visit during the rut. Kinda hard to adjust genetics by shooting one buck when you have tons of them moving in and out of the property. Also, you have no way of knowing what genetics the doe are carrying. I would never burn my tag on a Buck because I was trying to remove inferior genes.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:31 PM
Spike

Well, I will post the pics once I hit 10 posts! Dang forum won’t let me at the moment!
Old 11-09-2017, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Shoot what you want. I am a meat hunter. I fill my freezer every year. I would never pass on a 130" buck... But I also wouldn't pass on any legal buck. That's how I choose to hunt.

If you want to take mature deer, and hunt mature deer, then you need to pass the small ones. It just depends what you want out of hunting.

This year, I've got two cow elk in the freezer (me and my dad), and five doe tags. So, I've passed on several small 4, 5s and even a decent 7 pointer.

This is only because I have the meat I need for the year, or will after the gun seasons are done and I fill some doe tags... So I might as well pass the small bucks. But in a normal year, the first legal buck I get a chance at takes a ride in the truck with me.

-Jake
Old 11-10-2017, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
On a small property, you'll have at least a dozen transient bucks that visit during the rut. Kinda hard to adjust genetics by shooting one buck when you have tons of them moving in and out of the property. Also, you have no way of knowing what genetics the doe are carrying. I would never burn my tag on a Buck because I was trying to remove inferior genes.
Very accurate advice above. 160 acres is not enough to manage the herd let alone genetics. I used to pass on every buck that I would not mount. I figured any buck allowed to live longer is going to get bigger with a few exceptions.

The place I hunt now is very small and the landowner does not care what I shoot. So, I fill tags.

Do what makes you feel good. But, do not believe your practice has much affect on the quality of the herd as a whole.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

You'll never shoot a 140" if you shoot every dink that comes along first. I've never felt the need to shoot a 140".. That's just me.

Some guys love chasing big bucks. That's them.

If it's legal, then hunt and harvest how and what you want.

-Jake
Old 11-11-2017, 04:33 AM
Spike

Last edited by BPeterson77; 11-11-2017 at 08:47 AM.