Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Small caliber shot placement

Old 11-07-2017, 08:52 PM
Spike

Default Small caliber shot placement

Is a .223 too small of a caliber for deer hunting if not what parts do you aim for with a smaller caliber rifle my daughter is shooting a.223 Rossi and I was curious
Old 11-07-2017, 11:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

use a good bullet (60 gr nosler partition, 64 gr win. power point, or a controlled expansion)
best shot is broadside, onside leg forward, right behind the shoulder, result is a 60 yard sprint to a pileup.
RR
Old 11-08-2017, 03:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Avoid major bone and punch the lungs and you can get the skinning knife ready.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:18 AM
Typical Buck

Bullet construction has improved greatly in the last 20 years. Before that, I would have been one of those folks who would condemn anyone even attempting to deer hunt with a .223. Now with copper and brass solids that hold together and expand well, there are many .223 bullets out there that are just fine for whitetail. High shoulder with one such as a Barns TTSX or just behind the shoulder tucking it into the boiler room will easily put meat on the table.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

Two key points:

1. Shot placement - avoid the shoulders
2. Bullet construction - use a heavy, tough bullet