Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

In the search for a new ‘06

Old 11-01-2017, 07:51 PM
Spike

Default In the search for a new ‘06

I’m in the hunt for an ‘06. I’m torn between the Mossberg Patriot Revere, or Savage 110. Anybody fire these weapons? I’m looking for a moderate recoil and tack driving capability. It’s gotta be hardwood. Just my preference. Aaaand shooot.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:43 AM
Spike

A hunting buddy uses the Savage. He really likes the trigger system. I shoot a 06 Ruger M77 MkII. (Hardwood) I had switched from a 8mm maueser because the bullets were getting hard to find and when I did they were really expensive. I've never missed with my Ruger.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why not check out the Browning A-Bolt? The Ruger American can be had with wood stock. Both feature tang safety, 3 locking lugs, and detachable mags. I've been a sucker for A-Bolts & A-Bolt 2s for quite some time! The Medallions have some VERY pretty Walnut & epoxy finish that'll take a beating & never get down to the wood.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:38 AM
Fork Horn

mossberg patriot..my son has it in 270 and it is sub moa accurate right out the box...his is synthetic...i'm like you , i like the wood and the patriot revere is beautiful...this in 30-06 is on my want list..just trying to figure how to explain another' 06..fluted barrel,5 round box,24" barrel, 7 lbs...perfect hunting rifle..don't get me started

Last edited by davidg; 11-07-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:40 PM
Spike

Default My three cents

Two years ago I ordered an Axis II Savage in 30.06 with a Boyds wood stock. I am very happy with the rifle. It came as a package with a cheap scope and I think total cost was $390.

It holds it's sighting very well and prefers 150gr. Remington CorLokt ammunition.

BZimm