Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Are you trying anything new this year? >

Are you trying anything new this year?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are you trying anything new this year?

Old 10-08-2017, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

I have been hunting for years with a hand me down Rem model 760, 30-06. Recently received a 33 cal Winchester lever action with a peep sight. Got it from my dad who got it from his father-in -law, who got it from his father-in -law,etc. I will try putting one down with that old gun, built in 1902.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting a new 80 acre plot of land...Going in blind and I'm excited about that "unknown". I'll have boots on ground the day before opener to find my way to some existing stands.
Me, too. I got access to a new piece of ground. I may get chance this week to walk it since I'm on a break, but that may not happen but first priority is zeroing rifles.

By hunting time, aerial photos, facing the wind, and a good pair of boots may have to do.

Quite frankly, I love hunting blind.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by SilverbulletM70
Hunting a new 80 acre plot of land. No trail cams and nothing to go off of but aerials. Going in blind and I'm excited about that "unknown". I'll have boots on ground the day before opener to find my way to some existing stands.
Because I'm going in blind (more or less) and traveling in from out of state (in CO, heading to northern MN for whitetail opener) I'm having an internal debate of what rifles to bring. I have a 338 Win Mag that I haven't had a chance to hunt with yet and while it's extremely overkill, I have a box of 200 grain SSTs that may just get called into action. I have a .308 and a nice little 7-08 but I'm itching to get that 338 out on a hunt!lol Probably going to bring them all, along with a 7mm WSM for any long open field shots...
3 words that worry me are "unknown" and "existing stands".

Please, please give those stands a real good going over before getting in them.

Also for you and all the other hunters, make sure you know the local medical locations, fire departments, phone numbers, etc. and keep them in your phone or on hand.

Good, safe hunting to everyone.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by WrackMaster
I have been hunting for years with a hand me down Rem model 760, 30-06. Recently received a 33 cal Winchester lever action with a peep sight. Got it from my dad who got it from his father-in -law, who got it from his father-in -law,etc. I will try putting one down with that old gun, built in 1902.
Got her done yesterday morning. Peep sight with these old eyes? Glad this spike was only 8 yards away.
Attached Thumbnails Are you trying anything new this year?-thumbnail-2-.jpg