Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Starting Deer Hunting

Old 10-08-2017, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

The most important thing to keep in mind is just sit back and enjoy the hunt. Even when I don't shoot anything (which is the vast majority of the time), it's always nice to just sit back and watch the wildlife.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by riverhawk
I'm starting deer hunting this season in VA. It starts Nov 19, and I'm getting a .243 soon.
I need advice on pretty much everything other than scents (settled for Code Blue urines)--calls I need, when to hunt, shot placement, etc. If I zero at 70 yards, can I get away with shooting straight at the aimpoint without aiming high or low? (shooting from 10-100 yards) If not, when should I aim high or low and by how much?
How should I adjust my aim shooting from a treestand?
And, should I use Nosler Partitions or Remington Core-Lokts?

Thanks,
Riverhawk
Deer are a prey species - food for predators. They "know" this and have adapted to avoid being eaten. They are most active (visible and amenable to being hunted) at twilight - early in the day and late. When they are moving, they will follow pathways that are a balance between easy and hidden.

Place yourself in shadow. Deer will have a hard time seeing you there. Be still. That too makes it hard for the deer to see you. When you move, move slowly.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:13 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
sightin at 100, if 70 is all the range you have sight in just a tad low at 70 (like 1/4" low) you'll be good holding dead on till 275 yards or so, I'd use power points, god how I hate core-lokts. you do not need premieum bullets for va. whitetails.
RR
I'm not shooting past 100 yards, so I don't need to be accurate past that
I might just try the Federal Fusions, or PowerPoints, or Partitions...so many choices...Anyone have feedback on the Fusions?
Old 10-08-2017, 09:14 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Alsatian
Deer are a prey species - food for predators. They "know" this and have adapted to avoid being eaten. They are most active (visible and amenable to being hunted) at twilight - early in the day and late. When they are moving, they will follow pathways that are a balance between easy and hidden.

Place yourself in shadow. Deer will have a hard time seeing you there. Be still. That too makes it hard for the deer to see you. When you move, move slowly.
Thanks!
Old 10-13-2017, 05:59 AM
Spike

holy cow, we had to big bucks going at it last night in my back yard here in Toledo Ohio. the ground was shreaded and broken antlers on the ground!! Seams a little early for that type of aggression don't you think?
Old 10-17-2017, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by riverhawk
..Anyone have feedback on the Fusions?
I shoot the Fusions in my .308. A good deal (maybe a buck more than Cor-Lokts for 20 rounds) considering it's a bonded bullet. I get very good accuracy out to 100yds.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:54 AM
Spike

Get a copy of the hunting regs and study them, know them "by heart" you'r job as a hunter is knowing what legal and what's not. Take lots of snacks/water, and try to sit still. Tell someone where you are, and when you'll be back, and what to do if you don't check-in.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:11 AM
Typical Buck

Where at in Va are you hunting? All above advice is good particularly the one about reading and rereading the regulations. Also get very familiar with your hunting area so if you get turned around you can get to your vehicle or at least a road.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:23 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by vapahunter
Where at in Va are you hunting? All above advice is good particularly the one about reading and rereading the regulations. Also get very familiar with your hunting area so if you get turned around you can get to your vehicle or at least a road.
Manassas/Buckhall area. Hunting on my own land.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:24 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by hubby11
I shoot the Fusions in my .308. A good deal (maybe a buck more than Cor-Lokts for 20 rounds) considering it's a bonded bullet. I get very good accuracy out to 100yds.
so, Fusions or Partitions? Tryin' to decide between them; already gave up on Core-Lokts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.