HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Hunt hard get lucky!! Pics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/41578-hunt-hard-get-lucky-pics.html)

JCNinOKC 10-30-2003 09:49 AM

Hunt hard get lucky!! Pics

Well I headed down to Honobia in SE Oklahoma on Thursday. It' s about 3 1/2 hours from Norman where I live. BP season started on Sat.. I am fixing breakfast FRI. morning and about 150 yards from camp a huge buck walks across the pipe line. He has a huge rub up there that I did not know about, heck I didn' t even know about him. Well I hunt him hard all week staying out almost all day every day hoping to see him move through again. Tuesday I am heading to my stand which is down the mountain side where he has more rubs. It is still pitch black and I just sit down when this crazy buck comes charging at my stand to investigate what is invading his territory. He gets about 15 yards away and stops, then run up the other side of the creek bank I am hunting, all the while his antlers are snagging and breaking limbs as he runs away. Well I never see him again the rest of the trip.

I am call my wife TUE. to let her know that I survived another day and tell her about my close encounter. I am slated to go back home WED. when my lovely wife says and i quote " You can stay longer if you want too." . Well you know I jumped all over that. So I hunt WED. morning and see nothing. I come in from hunting because I have to run to the little country store and get more ice for the cooler since I am staying longer. Well I take the primer out and put my gun in its gun case and load it in the truck and head down the logging roads to go get the ice. The town is about 15 miles from camp. Well I get to town get the ice and realize I left the cooler back at camp. So I hit the road, when I hit the logging roads I pick up the pace a little to get the ice in the cooler before it melts to much and alse get back out hunting. I am going down the logging road when I realize there is my turn I just missed. I glance up that way and there is a buck standing on the side of the road. Since I missed the turn I stop and look through the woods and see the buck still standing there. I get up of the truck grab my gun case get the gun out, load the primer all this time he is just standing there looking at me. Last year I passed up on small 6 points during BP and REG. gun to do my part for bigger deer. Well I put the scope and him and I see he is a nice 8. Then my conscience hits me. This is just too easy, no dragging the deer across the mountain side just back the truck up and pull him in. And is it really hunting. So I let the gun down. Then I think again, I have busted my butt going up and down the mountains for the last 5 days, maybe this is my payback especially if you look at all the factors that put me in that spot at that exact time. He was 60 yards up the hill through the trees from me. I raise the gun and take the shot. He drops in his tracks. I then notice the doe about 15 yards from my truck in the woods running off. No wonder he was sticking around for so long. Well I back back the truck up, take my turn off, pull up next to the buck admire his beauty and throw him in the back. Drive back into town and check him into the store I just came from 20 minutes ago.

So the real big buck still lives another day and I hope he survives this weekend so that I will have a shot at him during REG. gun. By the way he was 130#' s field dressed. Rack was pretty symetrical accept for one tine that was broke but not to bad. Well that is the story of how one hunts hard and gets blessed with a little luck and a decent buck.

portable ladder 10-30-2003 12:14 PM

RE: Hunt hard get lucky!! Pics

nice deer

DuckHuntin247 10-31-2003 08:38 AM

Hunting hard pays off!!! Nice pics:D

Tomster 10-31-2003 08:43 AM

Congrats, that' s a nice buck....

Tomster

Log 10-31-2003 11:26 AM

Nice Buck!!!! Good things really do come when you wait and work hard for them! nice pics as well!!!

hardluck71 10-31-2003 12:13 PM

Great buck, but how did you get him to lay on all your stuff like that. Seems to me that the deer was a bit lazy.

Great deer.

JCNinOKC 10-31-2003 12:36 PM

That' s cute Hardluck:D. I was just trying to get a good shot of his rack without it blending into the ground, so I stuffed my backpack up under his head. Hey it' s hard to do this picture stuff when you are all by yourself in Bum Freaking Egypt!;)

cardeer 10-31-2003 04:56 PM

Nice deer ,congrates. If it is warm as it appears you better field dress that baby. Or don' t they do that in OKY. Just kidding I lived In Oky city for 2 years.

SwampTHING 10-31-2003 05:40 PM

Now thats lucky!! Congrats!

Curious,, I just bought that same gun, optima .50 cal on wed., put a bushenll elite 2-7 on it. What are you shooting out of it?? Ive got to get something accurate to 70-80 yards in the next 2 days!! all help apprediated!!

JeramyK 10-31-2003 07:17 PM

Congrats! Nice looking buck.