Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Hunting Basics in NC

Old 10-02-2017, 09:31 AM
Spike

Default Deer Hunting Basics in NC

So, I've moved to North Carolina from where I was before. I used to hunt in a ground blind over a feed plot in an open field; now I've got 2 acres of moderately forested, very steep land with a lot of rocky crags bordering a smallish river.
I've seen two 6-pt bucks and one that looks to me to be a 20 or so (!!)...
I've been planning to set a corn pile up and hunt from a tree near it.
So, treat me like a deer hunting newbie, tell me how shot placement differs with a treestand, tell me how my 70-yard-zeroed .243 rifle is going to drop if I aim at a deer's vitals from a treestand, whether I should adjust shot placement, go for head or vitals shots, and generally how to hunt from a treestand over a bait pile.
Also, should I choose a small area of flatter land for my pile or some of the steep cliffy areas? And, how does one hang a treestand and how much does one cost?

Thanks,
Wolven

EDIT: Could this be moved to the whitetail forum?

Last edited by Wolven; 10-02-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

your bullet will hit where your crosshairs are at 70 yds..hit the deer in the lung area..just behind the shoulder,,it'll probably run a little ways but don't worry .,you'll find it if you're using the correct projectile..information is plentiful on the internet..good luck..
Old 10-04-2017, 04:38 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by davidg
your bullet will hit where your crosshairs are at 70 yds..hit the deer in the lung area..just behind the shoulder,,it'll probably run a little ways but don't worry .,you'll find it if you're using the correct projectile..information is plentiful on the internet..good luck..
thanks! What about corn placement?
Old 10-07-2017, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

I moved your thread as requested.

It's easier to hunt deer where they are, than where they aren't.

Place your corn where you are already seeing sign. Off the edge of a trail, or somewhere where the deer are.

Shoot it right behind the shoulder.

-Jake
Old 10-08-2017, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

What town in NC did you move to?
I live in Seagrove NC Randolph county.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Believe it or not, some NC hunters even kill deer without corn...

Where is the food source??? Early season I prefer to hunt there, watch the does, the buck will follow...

As far as a .243, hit them just like you would with any other deer caliber rifle, it kills as good as any...