Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Public Land Double

Old 09-23-2017, 11:38 AM
Spike

Default Public Land Double

After getting to my stand MUCH later than I was hoping for, and dripping with sweat from the walk in, I pretty much called my hunt a bust before it even got started. As it turned out, I was able to fill my freezer a whole lot quicker than I bargained for.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:38 PM
Spike

I enjoy watching success videos on public land, congrats!
Old 09-24-2017, 01:39 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wibowhunter25
I enjoy watching success videos on public land, congrats!
Thanks! I'm heading back to another piece of public now with a friend to hopefully get him filling a tag on video. It's going to be a HOT day, so I am not looking forward to that at all.... lol
Old 09-25-2017, 12:19 PM
Spike

Hunting is hard enough without using cameras. Good Job!
Old 09-27-2017, 02:08 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Tyler Adsit
Hunting is hard enough without using cameras. Good Job!
Thanks! It's a lot of fun but does come with some headaches at times. lol
Old 09-27-2017, 06:48 AM
Spike

I know all to well about headaches and videoing at the same time. Especially doing it all by yourself versus having another person in the tree. Lugging in twice the equipment.. twice the set-up.. i have respect for anyone that does it.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

first off congrats to you!

but I have a question?or just giving some ifood for thought to others?

I know in many places its a LAW that says you must (forgive me on NOT being 100 % on official wording)
but you must tag and recover the first DEER before shooting the second
if you follow?

I know many that do what you have done, but I do think in some places it is honestly illegal to shoot the second deer till the first one is tagged?
even IF you have more than one tag on you?

I see NO issue with what you did, personally as long as both get tagged !

but since you are videoing it and all, I don't want to see anyone get a violation for a some what trivial step taken??

SO< before anyone does this maybe want to read up on your hunting rules to make sure its legal(wardens do use the web and social media more now than ever to get fines out)

and I have NO clue what they are where your at, so I am NOT saying you broke any game laws here
just a heads up to others or you??
Old 09-28-2017, 02:09 AM
Spike

mrbb, I do appreciate your concern and looking out for others!

This hunt took place in WI which uses paper tags instead of the attach to the deer and semi weatherproof types most other states use, and you validate the tags simply by ripping off the lower portion of the harvest tag. New this year also with the validation is no longer needing to attach anything to a deer, just rip off the tag, then call or use the internet too register before leaving the county, or within 24 hours. The downside of self filming vs having someone else film for you, is I don't always capture the entire story because I'm trying to multi task literally the entire hunt by filling both roles.

What wasn't shown in this video was me getting down right after that shot to check on the doe since I could see her about 40 yards away, which I didn't see at first because I was watching her through a viewfinder, then when I looked up I just didn't see her at first.

After that I validated my tag and called my buddy to tell him about my doe. He is training a blood tracking dog and asked if she can "find my deer" even though it only ran 40-50 yards. I told him sure and I'd hang out till he got here, and crawled back into my tree which is where it picks back up again with me back in my stand.

Now in hindsight your questions actually helped me with my shot sheets, which if you don't know about them (don't know what your video knowledge is), they are a sheet I wrote up and printed out and carry with me while hunting/filming. They are kind of a reminder of what too film while on the hunt. Stuff like close up of clipping the release to the bow, drawing, other wildlife etc... Stuff too help tell the full story. I just added validate tag to my list because it is a very big part of telling the story. So thank you for that! When self filming I try to follow the sheets, but I'm still horrible at my story telling and have a lot of growing and learning too do yet, and when stuff starts happening I forget all about the sheets half the time sadly... I'll get there some day! I hope... lol
Old 09-28-2017, 02:13 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Tyler Adsit
I know all to well about headaches and videoing at the same time. Especially doing it all by yourself versus having another person in the tree. Lugging in twice the equipment.. twice the set-up.. i have respect for anyone that does it.
It's definitely a lot of work that's for sure! haha

If I had a lease or private land I always hunted it wouldn't be nearly as bad because I can leave stands hung, as well as a base for the camera arm, then I'd only have my bow and camera to carry in. BUT since it's public, I get to carry it all in and out every single time... Loads of fun lol. But I love it, and it's that much more rewarding when I am successful.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

Good shootin. Good video. Congrats on the double!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.