HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Party Hunting....thoughts? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/415600-party-hunting-thoughts.html)

mthusker 09-17-2017 04:22 PM

Party Hunting....thoughts?

First off, posted this here because it is at top of the board, there is no sub forum for general hunting. Party hunting in Montana is illegal. I know other states allow it. I am not just talking deer. What are your thoughts on the subject?

TN Lone Wolf 09-17-2017 05:04 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but what's party hunting? Is it where people in a hunting party put their tags on each other's kills?

Bocajnala 09-17-2017 11:57 PM

If it's legal, have at it. It's not legal anywhere that I regularly hunt.

TN, yes basically. If a group has ten tags, then the group can harvest ten. One guy might shoot 3, while some shoot zero. But they tag them all with the groups tags.

-Jake

Wingbone 09-18-2017 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf (Post 4315944)
Pardon my ignorance, but what's party hunting? Is it where people in a hunting party put their tags on each other's kills?

That's pretty much it. In WI it's legal because of the tradition of doing deer drives. But you legally have to be in sight or voice calling distance of the other individual.

flags 09-18-2017 07:53 AM

Illegal in all the areas I hunt and I have no issue with it being illegal. Kill your own game.

Rob in VT 09-18-2017 10:11 AM

Legal in Ontario.

kellyguinn 09-18-2017 10:57 AM

In certain types of hunting I can see it being a way, like duck hunting for instance or dove hunting but for deer I am against it. I have nothing against those that do it where legal but I would not want it legal here and would vote against it.

Hatfield Hunter 09-19-2017 05:47 AM

In Wisconsin this has been used for many years as a DNR tool--It helps reduce herds in certain area,s . Example--there are many area,s of private farmland that only gets hunted by landowner , many times these landowners get together to make deer drives in a more efficient way to reduce herd numbers and deer damage. This is one example---it also is a fun way to hunt together as a group and enjoy the camaraderie . If it ever has had a bad impact I am sure it would have been dicontinued

kellyguinn 09-19-2017 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Hatfield Hunter (Post 4316069)
In Wisconsin this has been used for many years as a DNR tool--It helps reduce herds in certain area,s . Example--there are many area,s of private farmland that only gets hunted by landowner , many times these landowners get together to make deer drives in a more efficient way to reduce herd numbers and deer damage. This is one example---it also is a fun way to hunt together as a group and enjoy the camaraderie . If it ever has had a bad impact I am sure it would have been dicontinued

Granted I mainly hunt public land but I hate the guys that do the drives while I am trying to harvest a deer. It ruins the "normal" hunting for quite a while. Just doing a drive however is not the same as party hunting. I could keep the population of my herd in check with normal still hunting and not checking someone elses deer under my tag. I could see how the DNR could use it as a setting the overall quota for an area however by issuing 10 total tags for a property instead of the normal 2 tags per person lets say. Since the landowner might bring in 20 folks which would be 40 tags. If they would issue it by property and put a limit on how many per person as well I might be up for that instead. I just don't like the idea of one person shooting deer and the other tagging it. And I also don't like the idea of drives with or without dogs. If it is legal I will support it but I just don't like it lol Might be cause that kind of hunting especially with dogs is not allowed here so I have not been brought up around it.

Berserker 09-19-2017 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by kellyguinn (Post 4316117)
Granted I mainly hunt public land but I hate the guys that do the drives while I am trying to harvest a deer. It ruins the "normal" hunting for quite a while. Just doing a drive however is not the same as party hunting. I could keep the population of my herd in check with normal still hunting and not checking someone elses deer under my tag.it.

Drive hunts are not that popular around here anymore, that I know of. Not that it doesn't happen.

If guys are doing a drive, I have no problem with the one of the walkers put his tag on the deer. He was part of it.

As far as drives on public land, ya it might suck, depending where you are at. But its public land. Can't control when someone gets up to go to the bathroom or lunch.

Unless deer are scarce, or using it as a way to get trophies, I really don't care what others do.

As for controlling population, that is a matter of opinion. Farmers would like them extinct. Which is why they get crop damage permits and give them out.

So your idea of controlling population, may not be the same. Lots of guys just want bucks. Than you have other guys that call meat eaters slob hunters.

Before my time used to have camp bucks. Could a deer to eat for the camp, wothout using a tag.