Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Deer and Chickens, the same??? >

Deer and Chickens, the same???

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer and Chickens, the same???

Old 10-30-2003, 08:04 AM

Default Deer and Chickens, the same???

The more I think about it, the more I think chickens and deer have similar ancestry. Both will eat just about anything. From what I learned from my What to Deer eat post, deer will eat just about anything, so do chickens.

All kidding aside, I use to see the deer hanging around my chicken coop. They would eat the feed the chickens kicked out of the coop.

Funny story..
One time during the evening, I was giving the chickens water and had left the feed bucket at the end of the trail since I had the coop about 100 feet into my woods. Anyway, after I finshed pooring the water, I started walking back up the trail when I see a doe with it' s head in the feed bucket eating the chicken feed. I yeld at the deer and it took off but I' ve never seen that before. I told the wife that story and see just laughed.

Now you know why one of my tree stands is behind the chicken coop. Also, if we could get deer to lay eggs, we' d be set. As you know everything tastes like chicken.

Tomster

Old 10-30-2003, 09:26 AM

Default RE: Deer and Chickens, the same???

you know, they especially like corn. and i' m from iowa too, so they will come out and eat corn outside of deer season. but when it' s in season, they seem more scarce. i think they' re trying to intimidate me :-)
Old 10-30-2003, 10:46 AM

Default RE: Deer and Chickens, the same???

Tomster the other day I saw a deer pecking at the ground and clucking, or was that a chicken scraping and rubbing the felt off its beak, oh he!! maybe it was a chicken and deer in a fight....... thats what all that " rattling" was. Pretty soon we will be shooting 10 pointer chickens, and collecting 4lb deer eggs[]