Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Newbie hunter, looks for tips for first successful season >

Newbie hunter, looks for tips for first successful season

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Newbie hunter, looks for tips for first successful season

Old 02-01-2020, 10:13 AM
Spike

When still-hunting, most of us don't move slowly enough, or stay put long enough. Try using your watch as a guide. Decide on a period of time to stand still, such as five minutes. This way you'll be forced to remain quiet and silent for a minimum amount of time, longer if necessary.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:42 AM
Spike

so alot of guys here are saying hunter education isnt all that great, and maybe your right. but the best thing for a new hunter is just to look all over the internet and watch alot of videos. you can learn anything on youtube
Old 02-17-2020, 01:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

You tune is a vast waste land of egos, it is not anything I would recommend to educate anyone.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 02-17-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:18 AM
Spike

Default Guided Hunts

Isnt the best way to start your hunting journey is by starting with guided management hunts?
Old 02-27-2020, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BuckTrader159
Isnt the best way to start your hunting journey is by starting with guided management hunts?
not iMO
what will you learn, ??
hunting on well managed ,lands is NOT the normal places most hunters hunt
you also will NOT have done any of the work to find the animals your after(the guide will do this)
so unless you think having someone else do everything for you but shoot is, learning hunting?
you'd be wrong IMO

best way to learn how to hunt is spend time learning how, and that is a combination of many things, from reading, watching, , talking to others, and Getting your Butt outside and walking about in woods and forest and fields and observing wildlife from a distance and then closer and closer as your skills and knowledge of them gets better, and practicing hunting skills, which means stalking game, finding game and learning there habits , so you can go ANYWHERE and find game and HUNT

a guided outfitted hunt, you do almost NONE Of the hunting, your walked into a stand, placed and told what will maybe show up and then its a shooting game!
NOT hunting, big difference between shooting and hunting! nothing beats being outdoors and LEARNING things first hand, and this takes TIME and YRS, and desire to LEARN and be good and successful at it
ain;t no short cuts in life to gain experience!
BUT how hard you work at something, can help speed things up,
Old 03-06-2020, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ahunter55
2017 season IS OVER. Did he see/get anything????

I was wonderin this myself.He hasn,t posted since then.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

I,m from Pa.Do all states require you to take their Safety Course to hunt in their state?

Also do some states Hunter Safety Course supersede other states so my Pa.certification will already suffice?
Old 03-06-2020, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GOOD OLE BOY
I,m from Pa.Do all states require you to take their Safety Course to hunt in their state?

Also do some states Hunter Safety Course supersede other states so my Pa.certification will already suffice?
some states will honor another states hunter safety card or proof of having taken a hunter safety course, but not all play by the same rules, some require the EXACT or a NEW verified one from the states game dept

buddy of mine a few yrs back wanted to hunt a different state(been hunting for like 25 yrs) and they required him to FIND his old card from 26+ yrs ago(needed to either SEE the card or a number off it, as yrs back many didn;t even have any numbers, so you had to produce the actualy card given to you)

which then turned into a big issue, as was so long ago, he had to go to the state he took test in, to get a NEW replacement card which was NO easy task,as from what I gather, they don';t keep records l that long! to be able to prove he took a test!

after countless phone calls and conversations and steps he had to do, he did get one!
But It would have been easier to just go take a new course some where else IMO

SO a heads up, if your haven't taken a course recently and or don't still have your original card
as some states DO require it, over just a hunting Lic.

due to the fact I gather MANY folks have Bought hunting lic, without ever taking a course and just lied on application, I know this was common or some what in many large chain stores yrs back before they went to using drivers lic as they do now!
Had countless customers actually tell me that was how they went around going thru a safety course as they felt it was a waste of time to take one being Older and not wanting to be with little kids!
sad, but true!

Every state has its own rules, , so you need to check them as far in advance as possible before planning any trips

Old 03-07-2020, 03:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

All states recognize the other state's hunter education courses, if you have a card you can buy the license. If you lose your card you can get a replacement .

Last edited by Oldtimr; 03-07-2020 at 03:14 AM.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:11 AM
Spike

yeesss, i think the same

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.