Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Newbie hunter, looks for tips for first successful season >

Newbie hunter, looks for tips for first successful season

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Newbie hunter, looks for tips for first successful season

Old 09-07-2017, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

fiddypal, most states require a hunting safety certificate to purchase a hunting license. your post doesnt state what state you are from. if you were to hunt in another state you would most likely need it to get a license. i took it when my son started hunting and needed it even, though i started hunting before it was required. i enjoyed taking the class even though i didnt need it.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

I also bring a small fishing leadhead jig, in a old 35mm film container with a suitable amount of line when in a treestand. Sooner or later you will drop a glove or hat or something else, that you can retreive with the hook instead of getting down or going without.
Bill
Old 09-11-2017, 07:21 AM
Spike

Always walk opposite the wind
Old 11-07-2017, 09:31 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by fiddypal
Hi guys, newbie here i finally got my hunting license (after an ungodly amount of hours of "hunter education" which was a joke).

Looking for any and all advice so i can have a successful season this year.

I will be hunting out of a stand which is a pretty good size, its maybe 10' up in the air and has a chair for 1 person but you could easily fit 2 people up there and gear. The previous owners had set this stand up so i know its in a good location already.

I have a game camera out right now so i can try and get down the deer timings of when they like to roll through.

I guess my main questions for this thread is what do you guys pack for a day out in the field? Food/Drink are my biggest question marks as i know smell is what will likely give me away to the deer, so what are some good options?

I don't have to trek far from my truck to get to my hunting spot (maybe 300 yards) so weight is not a big issue for me.

My pack list so far:
- Hunting license printed on waterproof paper
- Pen/Pencil and extra sheet of waterproof paper
- Esee 4 Fixed blade knife
- Smaller Morakniv
- Various lengths of paracord
- Rain gear
- Compound Bow & Arrows (how many arrows do i realistically need to bring?)
- gallon of water (for washing when cleaning a deer)
- Headlamp/Flashlights
- Small med kit

Congratulations mate for getting the license, and welcome to the community. My first suggestion for you before you start is to get a good pair of boots. If your boots are not comfortable enough, you cannot do the job with satisfaction. As the winter is coming, you might need a good pair for cold weather. I recommend you to get a good pair of pac boots.
Next for deer hunting you need good binoculars. And obviously don't forget to pack your rangefinder and trail camera. Make sure your rifle and the bow is in good condition.
I would like to recommend you to read the articles of this site before you start: www.prohuntinghacks.com
And for any specific suggestion, this forum is really great.
Enjoy!

Last edited by antGone; 11-27-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:49 AM
Spike

Enjoy the hunting experience.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:29 PM
Spike

sounds like you're good to go!
Old 01-28-2018, 06:00 PM
Swo
Spike

Default Scouting

Be sure to get out in the springtime and try to find where bucks are bedding, if you know where they Bed you will know how to develop a good strategy to hunt the buck! Check out the hunting beast forum for more info!

Nathan
Still Water outdoors
Old 01-31-2018, 03:01 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Sorry, hunter education instructors are volunteers, they don't have time to put on special courses for people who think they know it all and different courses for others . You can never be reminded too much or too often about firearms safety . I have given shooting instructions to far too many people who in their mind knew it all, the fact is, they were more dangerous with a gun in their hand than people who knew little or nothing. I am just saying when you asked for help, attitude means a lot. You can take it as advice or not.
Respect this. Safety is critical. Despite how many of us think we are solid, it's amazing what you will do after you break off a shot. The excitement of the moment makes us do stupid things sometimes if we haven't drilled safety...
Old 01-31-2018, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

don't forget the ATV to carry all that crap.
TP ya don't need what you need is damp paper towels to wipe your bloody hand on after field dressing. Water only to drink a 10 oz bottle maybe.
How many deer you going to shoot at a time. Just one then that is how many arrows you need.

Al
Old 02-01-2018, 11:39 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
what you need is damp paper towels to wipe your bloody hand on after field dressing.
That's a good idea! I was thinking of those wet napkin packages, but some wet paper towels in a Ziploc bag would be just as good, and cheaper, too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.