Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Newbie hunter, looks for tips for first successful season >

Newbie hunter, looks for tips for first successful season

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Newbie hunter, looks for tips for first successful season

Old 02-10-2018, 02:03 PM
Spike

Default hello

nice
Old 02-10-2018, 02:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Actually, what is better than wet wipes is rubber gloves, you do your work, take off the gloves and toss the mess in a litter bag and take it with you when you leave.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:19 AM
Spike

I need help in choosing of present for my grandpa. so maybe someone can say smth about masks or smth similar. I guess he would like it . Its very important to me because my grandfather is all I have and hunting is his hobby of a lifetime. He can’t live without it! Hope to find here a good advice.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I assume that smth is texting for "something", I suggest using real words. What kind of masks are you talking about?
Old 04-05-2018, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Snowflake66
I need help in choosing of present for my grandpa. so maybe someone can say smth about masks or smth similar. I guess he would like it . Its very important to me because my grandfather is all I have and hunting is his hobby of a lifetime. He can’t live without it! Hope to find here a good advice.
Hey Snowflake.... As OT mentioned... take the time to type out words that way we aren't guessing what you're trying to say.

I'm only a few years removed from that abbreviate everything in text age... but I've never seen "smth" either. I would guess the same as OT guessed.

What kind of hunting does your grandfather do? That will help us better answer your question.

Also, we have subforums for specific topics. If your grandpa is a turkey hunter, it might help to post the question there. Deer, big game, small game, etc. Lots of sections to choose from.
-Jake
Old 04-06-2018, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe you could fix him up with some hunting apps? A fairly cheap tablet, I got a Lenovo tab 2 on sale at Amazon, some hunting apps and Google maps can be a great help. Google doesn't make it easy to save maps and satellite to a tablet and picking out the right features for the map can be confusing. Basically too much information and a complicated menu.

I'm a grandpa and I know somebody younger than me who grew up with technology can do some things easily, that confound me.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 04-06-2018 at 05:29 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:02 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by fiddypal
Hi guys, newbie here i finally got my hunting license (after an ungodly amount of hours of "hunter education" which was a joke).

Looking for any and all advice so i can have a successful season this year.

I will be hunting out of a stand which is a pretty good size, its maybe 10' up in the air and has a chair for 1 person but you could easily fit 2 people up there and gear. The previous owners had set this stand up so i know its in a good location already.

I have a game camera out right now so i can try and get down the deer timings of when they like to roll through.

I guess my main questions for this thread is what do you guys pack for a day out in the field? Food/Drink are my biggest question marks as i know smell is what will likely give me away to the deer, so what are some good options?

I don't have to trek far from my truck to get to my hunting spot (maybe 300 yards) so weight is not a big issue for me.

My pack list so far:
- Hunting license printed on waterproof paper
- Pen/Pencil and extra sheet of waterproof paper
- Esee 4 Fixed blade knife
- Smaller Morakniv
- Various lengths of paracord
- Rain gear
- Compound Bow & Arrows (how many arrows do i realistically need to bring?)
- gallon of water (for washing when cleaning a deer)
- Headlamp/Flashlights
- Small med kit
I would also add maps and GPS to this list.= (phone is fine. Just carry a spare battery and turn off cellular radio).
Old 06-02-2018, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

2017 season IS OVER. Did he see/get anything????
Old 06-04-2018, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Florida Whitetail Experience
Old 01-16-2019, 04:54 PM
Spike

Default Hey Fiddy, First timer?

Ok, so you want to go hunting... if you think Old Timer was ... well a cranky WWII+Korean war vet with arthritis in the late 70's is a bit more "colorful". But, hey, I am a vet, I STILL find a nugget in each person's safety brief.

Buut... if you are ready for the best advice EVER, do these things...
First thing he gave me was a 110 camera, you can take your phone, go scout, try to sneak up and take a picture of your quarry, IN ANY WEATHER. Then, BLOW UP THE PICS TO SEE WHAT YOU MISSED. Talk about shock and awe as I was diagnosed with "CSS Boot" (You can't see #@&! Boot) pointing out the seven other signs I missed. It also taught me the area to hunt and I steadily quit getting lost or excited or still hunting too fast. Helping a farmer with his fencing does 2 things, scouting and arranging a place to hunt.
Second, get a bb or pellet gun and a trap, and in early morning light, any weather, hit the target. this teaches trigger control like nothing else. NO STINKIN INDOOR OR COVERED RANGE CAN MATCH THIS.

Third, go small game hunting (again, in any weather) to cook up some good BBQ ( teaches how to hit a small and moving target and to pass up a shot along with basic game harvesting). Then after you have ruined rabbit or squirrel or woodchuck, then you will appreciate the work WHEN AND IF GOD SMILES ON YOUR HUNT.

Good luck.

Do us all a favor and be respectful and responsible, give to hunters for the hungry, do not give the anti's ANY EXCUSES and good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.