Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Newbie hunter, looks for tips for first successful season >

Newbie hunter, looks for tips for first successful season

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Newbie hunter, looks for tips for first successful season

Old 09-06-2017, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr
Hey bud don't worry about it thats how they treat most newbies here. Look for anything to complain about and then run it. Thats about all you will learn here !! Most of the good guys have been turned off years ago but there are still afew here maybe one of them like JW or arrowmaster will help out .
So true !!!! I knew that one line was going to provoke the chest bumpers that can't help but state their supposed expert qualifications. I've been a ...... for "X" years, hunted on "Y" continents, and harvested "Z" game. "I know it all, but won't answer your questions!"

To the OP......Besides the bow, arrows (or gun and shells), and license, I will have binos, a wind checking powder, and a knife for sure. I use corn starch in a clean, travel-size container to check wind. My quiver holds five arrows. So, I carry five. At least one arrow has a used broadhead for a coyote or to take practice shot while in the stand. No need to carry a gallon of water IMO.

Last edited by rogerstv; 09-06-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use corn starch in a clean, travel-size container to check wind.
I wonder if they would consider that bait in PA? I use talc powder occasionally. On all my weapons, I have a very thin piece of thread tied, maybe 4 inches long. I also have these tied to stands. Also, the dried silk from inside milkweed pods are great for wind indicators.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh yeah, I've hunted on one continent.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Tell you what Rogers tv no chest thumping here. I just have a problem when someone gives up their own time to teach classes and then along comes someone who reaps the benefits of those people's time and makes remarks like to OP did regarding the class. Those volunteers could have been doing something that benefited themselves but instead they were helping other people so they could buy a hunting license. Coming from a new person in their first post it ticked me off and I said so. I don't have to thump my chest, but there are some things I do get off my chest and this was one of them. Without the comment criticizing the class I would have responded to the OP with some suggestions.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:43 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Tell you what Rogers tv no chest thumping here. I just have a problem when someone gives up their own time to teach classes and then along comes someone who reaps the benefits of those people's time and makes remarks like to OP did regarding the class. Those volunteers could have been doing something that benefited themselves but instead they were helping other people so they could buy a hunting license. Coming from a new person in their first post it ticked me off and I said so. I don't have to thump my chest, but there are some things I do get off my chest and this was one of them. Without the comment criticizing the class I would have responded to the OP with some suggestions.
Get off your soap box dude, i don't have to Deleted By JW - Reason Rule 1 for volunteering. You made the decision to volunteer, nobody put a gun to your head and you should not expect anything in return THATS WHY ITS CALLED VOLUNTEERING!!!!

Where i am at, hunter education is not a choice, you HAVE to do it in order to purchase a license (legally). When someone forces my hand, takes 3 work days of my time, you're deleted by JW Rule 1 off even if i did learn things at the class. I mentioned this to several of the instructors and they competently agreed with me and pretty much said "yep, our state sucks this is the only way to get your license we all had to go through this unfortunately."

I can go volunteer at a soup kitchen for years, does that make me an expert chef and deserve the praise of everyone who comes in for food about how i volunteered my time? No.

Go cry for praise in another thread.

Last edited by JW; 09-07-2017 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Vulgar language removed. Author sent a PM
Old 09-07-2017, 04:46 AM
Spike

Thank you for everyone who has contributed to the thread. I've built up my list quite a bit. I see your points about leaving as much behind at the truck if not going far, but i want to try and train for some longer hunts where i will have to pack stuff in so i will probably be a little overboard on gear for what i could get away with.

Better to have and not need, than need and not have.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree. The longer you can stay in the woods, the better. You never know when Mr. Big will come past. And, other hunters leaving after a couple hours can push deer especially during firearm season. My pack generally grows after the first few hunts as I think of items I wish I brought.

A couple things to add to my "must have" list:

Extra pair of gloves for wet days or when I drop one to the bottom of the tree.
Ball cap. I don't wear one while walking as it makes my head sweat.
Survey flagging to mark blood, etc. TP works for this too.
A safety harness.
A drink if I plan to stay on stand for an extended period.

Good Luck

p.s. I've been through the hunter safety course in IL three times. Once for myself and twice with each of my two kids. Certainly can be brutally boring.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:08 AM
Typical Buck

Something else you may not think of until you need it, that is if you use one, is to pack a spare release aid. And also if you use one, a spare loop if you use a tied on loop to your string. As far as the release goes, I use a wrist strap type and after each practice I try, and I do mean try, to always wrap the release onto my one of my bow limbs so it's not forgotten but there are brain fart moments when I toss it on my work bench. Especially if I am having to refletch some arrows after practice. You know them days, proud of yourself for having exceptional group shooting but mad at yourself for having exceptional grouping and having to refletch and replacing busted nochs. Or having to trash that arrow because of a busted end. But I always keep a spare identical release aid in my day pack so if, and when, I do have that brain fart moment, it hasn't costed me a morning or afternoon hunt.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

My answers are based on safety as I think things have been nailed down by other posters pretty well.

Before hunting you should make sure your bow and gun are in good condition and you are well practiced and know your range limits.

I would be especially careful with the stand. Homebuilt stands can be especially dangerous. A really good looking over is a must as is a safety harness.

Good luck. What state are you in?
Old 09-07-2017, 12:57 PM
JW
Super Moderator

First off let's clear a few things up here!

Hunter Safety is no ABSOLUTELY NO joke! - if you feel the course was a joke you missed the whole point of the course and wasted your money. You should not be granted the right to hunt!.
All 50 states require you to pass a Hunter Education course to be eligible to purchase a hunting license. Once taken in one state you are good to go in all states.

The result of every state in the union requiring all to take and pass a hunter safety course the data proves the number of fatal hunting accidents was drastically reduced and it saved lives! That sir is no Joke and is why I teach!

That is the #1 proven fact.

I am a 25 year Senior Hunter Ed Instructor. I lead two separate groups of 10 instructors in each group in two different geographical areas of my home state. I also teach DNR certified Learn To Hunt programs for people such as you.
I have mentored quite a few people on turkey, deer, upland and waterfowl hunts.

You must have been mislead as a Hunter Safety Course is not a course that teaches hunting. It does teach you safe firearm handling in all 5 current rifle actions. It teaches safe loading and unloading of ammunition for all those actions and how to pick our what is the proper ammunition for you firearm of your choice.s It teaches you how to safely climb and get down from an Elevated stand and how and why to wear a safety harness. It also teaches correct procedure to cross fences or obstacles alone or with a friend. It also should inform you about survival and what to carry afield which many have mentioned here.
It does teach you vital areas of game animals, where to aim and what shots you should not take It should teach you how to use the DNR Rules and Regulation pamphlet from your given state. It should also inform you how to ask for permission to hunt private land.
It should also inform you what can be illegal and what you should not do while hunting.
In other words it teaches the tools needed to be a SAFE HUNTER.

Yes the class is written at the 6th grade comprehension level. But all states have other types of classes, some even adult only, which can be as little as one day attendance and you take the required tests.
However you must do the majority of the reading and homework online using an approved Internet Course by your state and then come to a one day hands on seminar with printed, completed, passed quizzes in hand. And you still will need to take the required written and oral field test after the seminar. While I am certified to teach this type of course in my state - I only do so for adults. Safe Firearm Handling does not occur over night. It is a repetitive mandatory handling of each action. It takes practice.

I want to thank Timbrhuntr for the kinds words.
I really like helping people in the outdoors. I by far am no expert. and never said I was. A good day is when I learn something new. But I, like others here, have a wealth of knowledge one can not get out of a book. And I'm willing to share with the right attitude.

Dave.....JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.