Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Big 8

Old 12-01-2023, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Default Big 8

Its been a tough season for me as between work and catching a bad bout with poison ivy all over my face and eyes I haven't been able to get out. Luckily the backyard provided in a big way! This 8 started showing up at the start of the rut and even though I really wanted to wait and see him next year I went ahead and took him since I am running out of time to really get after it. Hopefully I will be able to get after a couple doe to finish off the season here in a few weeks.

I am up in the air on getting him mounted but would like to hear any opinions on showing off the long tine length. His G2s are 13".
Attached Thumbnails Big 8-29nov2023.jpg   Big 8-img_3724.jpg  
Old 12-01-2023, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

I don't mount deer really. I've done some Euros.

A deer like that would look interesting as a euro due to the long tine length.

Glad you were able to get him. Great buck
Old 12-01-2023, 01:26 PM
Dominant Buck

That is a huge 8
I don't get anything mounted but that is a real trophy in my eyes.
Old 12-01-2023, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

If you are into mounts, then that is most certainly a very respectable buck to have mounted. Nice mass on the bases and you aren't joking about that tine length.

I've only ever had 3 animals mounted. My first buck and both my twins first bucks. Never been a trophy hunter. Only time I care about rack size and shape is if I am assisting in management of genetics on a property. I see a 3 year old sporting a scrawny 6 point with tiny mass then that is a meat buck destined for the grill! Old man's favorite saying was A rack don't even make good soup! I tend to agree. 3 year old buck is prime eating age. After that you need anywhere from a sharp knife to a chain saw at the dinner table.
Old 12-03-2023, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

euro mounts last forever, a shoulder mount can go downhill fast depending on the conditions, how damp/dry your home is, wood heat is dry, gas is very wet. its your choice.
Old 12-03-2023, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Beautiful buck, congrats! I would definitely get him mounted. I like sneak or semi sneak mounts with a right or left turn depending on where I plan on hanging it.
Old 12-05-2023, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Thank yall. A euro was definitely on the table but ended up getting an upright right turn with him to finish up one corner of "my" room. From now on it will be waterfowl getting done unless I stumble on a 160 class or bigger or am able to get a nice Axis, Elk or Oryx. Tried elk hunting for the first time this year in CO and while it was an awesome adventure I didn't see any elk till I was driving home. Still a great time though. Did most of out by myself so it was a great learning experience.
Old 12-06-2023, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
Thank yall. A euro was definitely on the table but ended up getting an upright right turn with him to finish up one corner of "my" room. From now on it will be waterfowl getting done unless I stumble on a 160 class or bigger or am able to get a nice Axis, Elk or Oryx. Tried elk hunting for the first time this year in CO and while it was an awesome adventure I didn't see any elk till I was driving home. Still a great time though. Did most of out by myself so it was a great learning experience.
Elk look big on a screen. They are BIGGER than they look on tv. You need a very high ceiling for a good Elk mount or you will have to mount them pretty low on the wall for a standard ceiling height. Axis and Fallow are pretty tall as well. Just a heads up that some people forget to consider. The old man had 2 rooms with cathedral ceilings that all his mounts from his trophy days where in. Between 4 Moose heads with 60+inch racks and 3 Elk at 300+ and 1 at 400+ he needed both rooms!