Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Tips?

Old 11-05-2017, 02:59 PM
Typical Buck

Don't miss.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:36 AM
Spike

For next year, find a white oak tree and pour a bag of fertilizer around the end of the leaves or what is called the driplines. The deer will love the bigger, sweeter acorns.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

In my younger years I hunted near farmlands and set up along well traveled runs. But over the past 15 or so years I've hunted exclusively timber areas. Finding food sources is often difficult as mast crops change from year to year. We haven't had a white oak acorn crop in several years. Depending mostly on the red and chestnut oaks. To supplement this there is plenty of browse in the form of sassafras and black birch. I've found that my best bet for seeing deer is to set my stands on pinch points and cuts (between strip mines) or along ridge lines.
Patience is key when hunting these areas as well as confidence in your set up. Stay as odor free as possible. I rarely use a scent, even a cover scent. I am of the opinion that no scent is the best.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:34 AM
Spike

Hunting with the wind in your favor is huge, especially when hunting booners. You always want your scent blowing away from where the deer come from or where you think. Set up cameras record the wind direction in a diary for each day and play the odds. What's the rush after you shoot? Sit there calm your nerves and enjoy that adrenaline rush. The worst thing you could do is push a wounded deer. He make get up from a bed never to be found cause he clotted up while bedding.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:16 PM
Spike

Read, read, read. Get out in the woods as much as possible, everything you see, do, think about, everything that happens to you, research it and figure out how to use to your advantage the next hunt or next season.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:23 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wingbone
Welcome to the forum.
1. Find where the deer are living when they're not feeding, basically their bedding area. Find out what they are feeding on when they are active. Put your stands on trails that lead between the two areas.

2. Always pay attention to the wind. It's the most dependable way to hide your scent. Place your stands where you have good cover to hide movement. Stands too high make it difficult to make good shots when the deer are close.

3. I get down immediately. If I made a good shot, that deer will be dead before I get out of the tree. If I determine that it's a possible gut shot, I'll back out quietly and come back 6 hours later or overnight, whichever comes first.
Good information. To help you with number 3 - get you a good blood tracking light (outrigger outdoors bloodhound blood tracking light is what I run and recommend) to track down a gut shot or less than perfect shot on a deer after about 30 minutes. Usually by then the adrenaline has wore off and they are sore and don't want to move much.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you plane to rattle antlers from your tree stand...drill a hole just above the base of each antler, with a big enough diameter for a nylon parachute cord. Tie the two together, about a foot apart, and then tie another piece of cord to the middle of the string, that is long enough to reach the ground from your stand. The deer expects the buck fight to be on the ground and not in your treestand.

Lower the antlers to the ground and shake the cord lightly, so that the antlers are only ticking together with occasional grunts mixed in --- If no response...shake the cord more vigorously, so that the antlers are clashing together and hopping up and down off the ground. If a buck comes in an starts to lose interest and starts to walk away...just shake the cord lightly so that the antlers are only just ticking together --- The buck should stop in his tracks and possibly afford you a going away lung shot.

Here in Maryland...I like too start to rattle October 21 on.

Last edited by Erno86; 10-04-2018 at 09:42 AM. Reason: added a word
Old 12-26-2018, 03:28 AM
Spike

I search out where different types of trees/brush/cover meet. For example where oaks meet pines meet cedar meet brush. The more types the better! Deer are browsers and follow edges. The more types of edges the better. Years ago I bought and used color infrared aerial photos. Each type of tree/brush/cover will be a different color. Now a days I use google earth and historicaerials.com to find my spots. Good Luck!
Old 08-13-2019, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CameronK
A good FFP rifle scope is needed. And if this is your first time to hunt a deer, you'd better ask some professionalists for accompanying.
I prefer a second focal plane riflescope for deer hunting.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:21 PM
Spike

On top of what's already been said. Minimize your prescense in the area by staying out of your area during season unless you are hunting. Find quiet access routes to your stand. Be a scent control freak, fooling a deer's nose is half the battle. And lastly, HUNT HARD. Invest lots of time in the stand and opportunity will present itself. Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.