Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Last day of the rifle season

Old 12-09-2023, 01:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Last day of the rifle season

Last day of PA rifle season. I have been trying since archery season to score. Finally it happened today. Around 100 yds with my marlin guide gun 45-70. Now I can rest.
Old 12-09-2023, 01:32 PM
Spike

Good job! Thats a nice doe.
Old 12-09-2023, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice. Good eating. Congrats

DF
Old 12-10-2023, 03:20 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats, You didn't get a pass through with that huge 45/70 bullet?
Old 12-10-2023, 03:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

I was shooting down hill, the bullet hit her in the neck went through the body destroyed the heart, it did not just put a hole in it but destroyed it. The entrance is on the side of the nect that is facing me. I was using 325 grn Hornady Leverevolution bullets. I did not find an exit but the body cavity was full of blood and pieces of heart. I didn't skin her she went to the butcher shop, I never heve not had a pass through with that gun and bullets but I could not find an exit in the field. I shot a deer in the brisket once with my .308 and it went right down like it was pole axed like this one did and the butcher found the bullet under the hide near a back leg, perhaps that is where this slug is. One thing about the caliber and the bullets I use is they do less meat damage than my .308 w/ does to the meat.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 12-10-2023 at 04:04 AM.
Old 12-10-2023, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on filling the freezer, good shooting!
Old 12-10-2023, 06:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks all.
Old 12-10-2023, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

I got on here specifically to see if you were able to fill a tag.

Congrats and way to stay at it.

Jake
Old 12-10-2023, 03:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I got on here specifically to see if you were able to fill a tag.

Congrats and way to stay at it.

Jake
This was one of the worst years in memory, I saw deer but the nothing lined up for as shot. For example, about 2 hours before I killed my doe I was sitting at a deer intersection with the ability to look in 3 directions. I slowly turned my head back and forth, when I truned my head to the left there was a deer 15 yards in front of me wuth its head dow eating. I couldn't tell buck or doe. I cocked my rifle ans slowly was raising it up to my shoulder aand just before I got on my shoulder the deer, a nice doe suddenle snapped her head up and looked behind her right at me and she immediately made two bounds and was over the fence into a cattle pasture and gone. I figured it was over for the day. two hours later I got another chance with a shot I really didn't like down hill but I took it and flattened her. Sometimes bad luck can giver a break.
Old 12-10-2023, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

I can't really say it was a bad year for our camp, Nine hunters got 3 eight points and 6 doe, but it was a weird year.

Our sightings were WAY down. Way down.
There were no hunters out in our area. Very little shooting. Nobody moving deer. Lots of corn still up on the farms.

The 3 eight points were the only bucks seen by us. Usually we'll see lots of illegal bucks and lots of antlerless. Not the case this year.

The deer are there. But with no hunters moving them and so much corn still up I think we just weren't in the right spots where we had access to be.
-Jake
​​​​​​

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.