Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Moon phases and the rut

Old 08-06-2017, 09:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default Moon phases and the rut

Do you guys believe the moon phase affects the rut? Specifically, that the full moon is what triggers the does to go into estrous?

I'll admit to avidly reading the Deer and Deer Hunting magazine's annual rut prediction articles by Charles Alsheimer and Wayne Laroche. Maybe it's just confirmation bias on my part, but it seems to me like their predictions for what types of deer movement you'll see and on what days seems to be pretty accurate.

What are your thoughts?
Old 08-07-2017, 02:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

A great way to sell magazine articles. I've never read a credible scientific study that indicated moon phase was an overriding influence over day length for predicting the rut.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

No I don't believe. The rut still occurs approximately the same time every year. I do believe weather can have an effect of daylight activity based on warmer temps, heavy rain or snow, etc.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

I've read somewhere that the amount of light in a day has an effect on it, but who knows? I'd have to agree with Rob, the rut occurs at the same time here as well. Give or take a few days. I think the weather has some factor to it. Last year was a very warm season here and stalled the rut a little. It was very depressing...
Old 08-14-2017, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Actually Brushpines, it is the amount of daylight that triggers the rut in deer. It is the diminishing ratio of daylight to darkness that affects the pituitary gland which releases a hormone that starts the ball rolling. The moon or temperature has nothing to do with it unless deer think it is romantic.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Actually Brushpines, it is the amount of daylight that triggers the rut in deer. It is the diminishing ratio of daylight to darkness that affects the pituitary gland which releases a hormone that starts the ball rolling. The moon or temperature has nothing to do with it unless deer think it is romantic.
So what I read was true?! First time for everything!
Old 08-14-2017, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

according to a long time deer farmer in central wi mating " begins " around nov 10 to the 15th every year no matter what
Old 08-14-2017, 11:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

There is no "no matter what". When the correct ratio of light to darkness is reached and the pituitary gland releases the hormone the rut starts. It may be close to those dates, where he is, North America is a big place and the trigger isn't the date.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:26 PM
Typical Buck

It is in those dates where he resides Central Wi What he is saying is it does not matter moon phases or anything else even reasonable temp fluctuations he says if it is quite warm they mate at night more than usual
Old 08-14-2017, 12:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

I will try again for the last time. What matters is not the moon as you have noted or the temperature. What matters is the amount of daylight compared to the amount of darkness that triggers the rut. The temp doesn't matter, it is the contrast between daylight and darkness that matters. It could be cold, so long as the daylight darkness ration is right, the pituitary will send out the hormone to start the rut.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.