Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Moon phases and the rut

Old 08-14-2017, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
There is no "no matter what". When the correct ratio of light to darkness is reached and the pituitary gland releases the hormone the rut starts. It may be close to those dates, where he is, North America is a big place and the trigger isn't the date.
Far from it. Rut usually starts around Christmas and ends around middle of January here.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:22 PM
Typical Buck

The only thing temp has to do with the rut is when you actually see them out chasing. If it's warm to hot, they are still chasing, just not in the heat of daylight. Especially in places that are warm like your deep southern states.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its all about survival IMO. They breed when it makes sense for survival. Everything else is more correlation than causation IMO.

Breeding when the days are short and the weather is cool correlates with giving birth in the spring and assuring the best chance for survival.

Luckily as hunters correlation is really just as good as causation as we really just need to know when not why.

The further north you go the smaller the survival window becomes and the more predictable the rut is.

Last edited by rockport; 08-15-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have to disagree Rocky. With all the old wives tales and anecdotal nonsense that is passed around as fact, I believe is is just as important to know why as well as when. The crux of what you said it true, evolution worked it out for the survival aspect, however I think we as hunters should know the whole story.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to disagree Rocky. With all the old wives tales and anecdotal nonsense that is passed around as fact, I believe is is just as important to know why as well as when. The crux of what you said it true, evolution worked it out for the survival aspect, however I think we as hunters should know the whole story.
Well it certainly doesn't hurt to know why. I'd have to disagree that its just as important as knowing when but it is better to know both for sure.

I bet if you look at peak vegetation growth in your area and subtract 200 days you will find the rut in most cases.

Last edited by rockport; 08-15-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

We can agree on that.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt public land in Florida. We have 4 WMAs about 20 miles apart and all have a different rut. Most I hunt, so I know they are different. The other couple of WMAs, they actually changed the dates of the hunts to correlate with the rut, to give hunters a better chance.
The rut is Usually with in a couple weeks of each year on each WMA. ( late October on 1, Dec on another and January on another).

I know the more I think I know, the less I do.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:52 PM
Spike

Actually Brushpines, it is the amount of daylight that triggers the rut in deer. It is the diminishing ratio of daylight to darkness that affects the pituitary gland which releases a hormone that starts the ball rolling. The moon or temperature has nothing to do with it unless deer think it is romantic.
Roger that. 100% correct and the rut goes on regardless of temperature however the action might be after dark since it's cooler. Same time, every year...
Old 09-24-2017, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

I will try again for the last time. t.
The moon and deer is a debated topic. Though have heard no proof.

But when a guy says, he is telling me for the last time, I start thinking the other guy is right.

Arguements over hunting, will never end, and I hope they don't.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

As for moon activity in general, many say no proof. I know I have none. But I prefer when deer season does not have a full moon. Many think deer are magial creatures that can see with zero light. No animal can do that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.