Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Plans for this season - trying anything new? >

Plans for this season - trying anything new?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Plans for this season - trying anything new?

Old 08-03-2017, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default Plans for this season - trying anything new?

Hey guys, been away for a while due to work and college. Who knew taking the maximum number of classes during the short summer semester was going to keep me so busy?

Anyway. . . What's everyone's plans for this season? Got any bucks you're specifically targeting? Anyone planning on trying out a new gun, bow, or muzzleloader?

I'll start. This is going to be the year I finally draw blood with my S&W Model 460. I hunted for years with one without success, but now that I've got two deer to my credit with an Encore, it's time to get one with the revolver. Also, after watching a videotape from my late grandfather showing a Montana elk hunt, I've decided to start filming my hunts again.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nothing new for me. I'll go to the same place I went last year in North TX and will take 2 does with my 9.2x62 Mauser. That will fill the freezer and feed me and mama for the year.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Vermont bow deer, Colorado rifle elk, Iowa bow deer, Vermont rifle and Muzzleloader deer.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

This will be my first season hunting deer with a crossbow. Most of the hunting I do is on public land, so I'm hoping to take advantage of the month head start before gun seasons.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

I bought my first crossbow a couple of month ago. I"ll be out there with it this fall.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:45 PM
Spike

Default This season's plans

I'll be hunting private land this season. Hunted it several years ago when I just got into whitetail hunting. Lately I've been hunting public land. Settled a case and the terms included me and my hunting buddy being able to hunt opposing counsel's land! For the first time I'll be using a crossbow. Picked up a Centerpoint Sniper 370 on sale at Cabela's. It's dialed in and ready to go! Going scouting this week.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

same as everyday life, find one with a big rack and mount it
RR
Old 08-15-2017, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

Got a good deal this year on an unguided drop in Caribou hunt in Alaska the last week of next month. It will be my first Alaskan hunt without the old man. Same guys that used to fly him in for his Moose hunts. Then when I get back, the twins, little sister, and I will be hunting some prime Tennessee property consisting of 480 acres with a ton of white and red oak and a 15 acre bean field for the first time. Our Uncle bought it last year for a song and a dance he says but we will be the only hunters on the property this year. Been down there 4 times this year and always see a ton of deer. Hopefully it will stay that way. Don't think I'm going to fit in an Elk hunt this year unless my buddy in Colorado can get some time off work. Just don't feel right hunting his land without him with me.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:54 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by hunters_life
Then when I get back, the twins, little sister, and I will be hunting some prime Tennessee property consisting of 480 acres with a ton of white and red oak and a 15 acre bean field for the first time.
What part of Tennessee are y'all hunting?
Old 08-15-2017, 09:49 PM
Typical Buck

Little place called Daysville. Up on the Plateau or close to it. He bought the place not far from Whites Creek. About 2 miles from the farm I was raised on and about 6 miles from the one the old man was raised on.