Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Can you use a spotlight for deer as long as it's within shooting hours? >

Can you use a spotlight for deer as long as it's within shooting hours?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Can you use a spotlight for deer as long as it's within shooting hours?

Old 07-16-2017, 01:48 PM
Spike

Default Can you use a spotlight for deer as long as it's within shooting hours?

Is it legal or illegal? Probably illegal, but this thread is for those who don't know the answer. I asked some people I knew but they didn't really know so I asked it on.

Last edited by Juston; 07-17-2017 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well sure you could if it's legal, but I've never heard of it being legal anywhere unless it's a crop damage situation where there are special allowances made to thin the population and the DNR is aware of what you're doing under the permits.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Check the regs for where you hunt. In CO where I grew up having both a spotlight and a firearm will get you a poaching ticket every time. But I'll have to admit I don't know why you would think about doing this. If it is too dark to see deer it is too dark to hunt deer and why would you want to risk spooking one? Have some patience and the sun will answer your questions.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:57 PM
Spike

Is having any flashlight illegal? I usually bring a flashlight to go back to my four wheeler in the dark. Is there a brightness limit to what I can bring?
Old 07-16-2017, 03:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Every state that I know of makes it illegal to shoot deer through the use of an artificial light, no matter what time of the day it is. We all know that there are times when during legal shooting hours when it is too dark to see your sights or cross hairs. In my state it is a violation to shine a light on a deer or attempt to shine a light on a deer while in possession of a firearm. After 33 years of being a WCO I am very suspicious of anyone who would even asked that question since common sense and good judgement should tell anyone that it is illegal to use a light to shoot deer. being a jack lighter is being a jack lighter no matter what time of the day or night it is! Your stock just dropped off he chart in my book!
Old 07-16-2017, 03:28 PM
Spike

It was just a question. Anyways I just thought it was kind of weird that they would have the shooting hours so late when it is to dark to even see a deer to shoot without a flashlight.

Last edited by Juston; 07-16-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:34 PM
Spike

Oldtimr, if I was an outlaw why would I ask a question like that? Now I know it's probably illegal and I won't do it. There's nothing wrong with asking a question if you don't know the answer to it. Also, I already knew it was illegal outside of shooting hours. The question was weather it was legal within shooting hours. In my opinion, a good hunter should know what's legal and whats not. If he doesn't, then he should find out which is exactly what I did. I think it's stupid to judge someone you've never even met.

Last edited by Juston; 07-16-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Juston
It was just a question. Anyways I just thought it was kind of weird that they would have the shooting hours so late when it is to dark to even see a deer to shoot without a flashlight.
It may seem like it's too late to see a deer, but it will depend on where you hunt. In northern MI where I hunt whitetails in very thick areas I can't see to shoot even through a good rifle scope past about 5:40 PM in late November. However the closing time is around 6 PM and I hear shots until then that are guys mostly hunting the edges of agricultural fields where it's still light enough if a deer comes out to feed in one of them.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Juston, to me questions like you asked are looking for loop holes. I don't know of a state that does not provide a compendium of laws and regulations and all hunters have to do is to read what is provided to them, so there is no reason not to know what you asked about is unlawful. Perhaps your question was innocent, however it still sets off alarms to me. As far as it being too dark to shoot on some days during legal shooting hours a little common sense would tell you that since the sun rises in the east and sets in the west if you are on the west side of elevation you will get the light later than those on the east side and at close of shooting hours it will get dark earlier on the east side of the elevation than on the west side. So, what ever the time is that your state sets for the legal start and end on shooting hours it means just that, and if you cannot see within those hours, you are done, you may not use an artificial light to locate or highlight game.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:34 PM
Spike

I tried to find the answer elsewhere but couldn't and just thought this would be a good place to find out. Thanks for the answer. Now that my question is answered, is there a way to delete this thread?

Last edited by Juston; 07-16-2017 at 04:46 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.