Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Scouting and Accessing Public Land >

Scouting and Accessing Public Land

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scouting and Accessing Public Land

Old 07-22-2017, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's been so long since I deer hunted down in Texas with Dad that I don't even remember the law that you described in your post flags. I wonder if the reason behind that is because of so much of Texas being private land and that's one way the GWs can check a person when they hit a highway with their animal. Until a few years ago Wyoming required that evidence of sex remain attached to a decent size piece of boned out meat. Then they changed it to just having evidence of sex with the carcass pieces, so now we just bone everything out and put the udder of a doe deer/antelope, or cow elk in a ziplock bag and we're good to go.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

In Texas the unfrozen head must be kept from cwd zones and presented within 24hrs at a check station. Not all zones so this is incorrect also!!!!!
I have accessed many areas of public land by use of a kayak like the opp did and it can make travelling a lot easier.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
It's been so long since I deer hunted down in Texas with Dad that I don't even remember the law that you described in your post flags. I wonder if the reason behind that is because of so much of Texas being private land and that's one way the GWs can check a person when they hit a highway with their animal.
I asked a game warden why it is illegal to bone the meat and he said that people were taking deer and cutting them into chunks about 2 inches square and filling coolers with meat. The regular license in TX allows you to take 6 deer so if you had 2 or 3 coolers full of meat in 2 inch chunks how would you really know how many deer were in the coolers? So they came up with the quarter rule to easily tell how many deer there were during a field check.

They decided to require the heads because people were killing small bucks and claiming they were does. You can only take 2 bucks on a license in TX and for the most part one of the bucks will have to be a spike and the other needs an outside spread on 13 inches. This doesn't apply everywhere in the state but it does for a large part of it. They protect the young bucks because big bucks are big business down here. On the general license 4 of the deer have to be does or you can kill all does if you want. The head rule is kind of inconvenient for hunters like me that only want 2 does for meat but the law is the law.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

In PA, if you quarter your deer in the field you must bring the head and hide out with you. If you don't a WCO can demand you take them back to the site of the kill and the butchering and show it to them.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
In PA, if you quarter your deer in the field you must bring the head and hide out with you. If you don't a WCO can demand you take them back to the site of the kill and the butchering and show it to them.
I could understand the head but there is no logical reason to require someone to bring out the hide of an animal that has been quartered. I wonder why that rule exists?
Old 07-23-2017, 10:11 AM
Spike

Like I said, thank God I'm in Minnesota then because the water here is not owned by a land owner unless it's totally confined within your property. It's accessable by anyone who has connecting property, and since this one has public land attached, it's fair use. Now that is not saying you can touch the physical land attached too it, so if i were to trap for instance, I could not make pocket sets into their bank, but could on the public side.

You all have some seriously messed up laws in your states if you cannot access water that is attached to public land....
Old 07-23-2017, 10:25 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Too bad he has that out on youtube for all the world to see and many will think he knows what the heck he's talking about and possibly be in a state like Utah and do what he mentions only to get a nice, expensive ticket and trip to court based on what he THINKS! If it were me, I'd yank that video and either toss it in file 13 or edit it and tell people the real story before he possibly gets sued in this litigious happy society we now live in!

Boy you're sure a bundle of joy now aren't you. I don't recall saying this is effective or legal in every state. If you're not smart enough to know your own states laws, there's a problem.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't watch yours or anyone else's You Tube videos or blogs but there would always be a disclaimer either at the beginning or the end of the segment cautioning anyone watching to check their state regulations before using any of your methods.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:42 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I don't watch yours or anyone else's You Tube videos or blogs but there would always be a disclaimer either at the beginning or the end of the segment cautioning anyone watching to check their state regulations before using any of your methods.
I did add a disclaimer in the text because it is a good idea, but I am floored by how many people do not know their own States laws... It's sad really. But I appreciate your opinion and idea.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:48 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
I could understand the head but there is no logical reason to require someone to bring out the hide of an animal that has been quartered. I wonder why that rule exists?
If you think that's bad, Minnesota made things even harder for those of us who hunt out of state. Because of CWD, we no longer can bring back the skulls or spines of a deer across the border, so just to skip over the pains of transport, I went ahead and found a taxidermist from across the border ahead of time, then since I process my own deer anyways, I just do so at a friends house over there. We need to have the used tag with us during transport. The only other option leaves you almost violating some of the laws in the other states on waste if you don't find and secure other processing options.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.