Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Scopes on Muzzleloaders... For or Against? >

Scopes on Muzzleloaders... For or Against?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scopes on Muzzleloaders... For or Against?

Old 06-01-2017, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why wouldn't you want someone to be as accurate as possible?

I guess I understand the idea of no scope in some states, although 1 state only allows scopes for residents, that seems illegal to me to not allow non-residents.

and in this day in age, kids grow up having never shot a rifle with rifle sights...

I'd personally want a modern ML with a scope.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Perhaps they should learn how to use sights, scopes break. BTW a state can write their laws the way they want to, nothing illegal about it, their resources their laws, do you know any state that charges residents and non residents the same fee for a license. Many states give residents first crack at certain licenses.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
Why wouldn't you want someone to be as accurate as possible?

I guess I understand the idea of no scope in some states, although 1 state only allows scopes for residents, that seems illegal to me to not allow non-residents.

and in this day in age, kids grow up having never shot a rifle with rifle sights...

I'd personally want a modern ML with a scope.

the concept of a Primitive season, was designed I GATHER< for primitive weapons, and then the muzzleloader seasons,
and these IMO were crated to give more chances for ways to harvest deer, get more folks involved and and sell more lic/tags
NO where is it all about making one hunter more successful or not,

when you hunt with ANY weapon, its the shooters job to KNOW there limits and best there skills to be able to be as clean killing as possible, NO matter WHAT weapon they hunt with or sights on it.

if your NOT able to make clean kills shots, DON"T be shooting at living critters, its NOT a poke and hope type of game !

and there is NO reason a kid shouldn't know how to use open sights, its silly for them NOT to!
the more they learn the better off they will ONLY be down the road ! in all area's of life too, NOT just shooting and hunting IMO!
Old 06-02-2017, 05:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, all true!
Old 06-02-2017, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Perhaps they should learn how to use sights, scopes break. BTW a state can write their laws the way they want to, nothing illegal about it, their resources their laws, do you know any state that charges residents and non residents the same fee for a license. Many states give residents first crack at certain licenses.
North Carolina used to, that didn't last a year though. Now our laws reflect the licensing costs of the neighboring state. For instance, because South Carolina increased their license fees for non-residents, NC raised their fees for residents from SC. You look at our license costs and you will see GA, SC, VA, TN all have different cost for a license here based on how much they charge non-residents to hunt in their state.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mrbb
the concept of a Primitive season, was designed I GATHER< for primitive weapons, and then the muzzleloader seasons,
and these IMO were crated to give more chances for ways to harvest deer, get more folks involved and and sell more lic/tags
NO where is it all about making one hunter more successful or not,

when you hunt with ANY weapon, its the shooters job to KNOW there limits and best there skills to be able to be as clean killing as possible, NO matter WHAT weapon they hunt with or sights on it.

if your NOT able to make clean kills shots, DON"T be shooting at living critters, its NOT a poke and hope type of game !

and there is NO reason a kid shouldn't know how to use open sights, its silly for them NOT to!
the more they learn the better off they will ONLY be down the road ! in all area's of life too, NOT just shooting and hunting IMO!
Not true for all states, might be in your state but not mine. At least in regards to your first section. The rest about knowing what you are shooting at is accurate, though I have a couple rifles that have no open sights or anything. Only came with a picatinny rail.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by MissionOutdoors.net
Do you support the use of scopes on Muzzleloaders?

Minnesota's Gov. Mark Dayton signed several bills into law late Tuesday afternoon, including too allow the use of scopes on muzzleloaders here in Minnesota during the muzzleloader season. Other laws passed include an increase in license fees which will go into effect next March, and also approved blaze pink as a blaze orange substitute.

“I am pleased that an agreement was reached on this bill, since there were policy provisions in the original bill proposed by the Legislature that I found objectionable,” Dayton wrote. “I am also glad the Lessard-Sams (Outdoor Heritage) Council’s recommendations were restored. Thank you for your commitment to the many sportsmen and women, outdoor recreation enthusiasts, hunters, anglers, and everyone else committed to the enhancement of our state’s priceless outdoor heritage.”

People all across social media have been talking about it back and forth for several weeks already from both sides of the argument, but I’d really like to hear your thoughts. Are you for scopes on muzzleloader? or against?

https://youtu.be/C7aPA6OkG9c
This isn't a question about one brand vs another or something like that. It is very simple. Use a scope on a ML or not.

I see this as a personal question and I would not base my decision on anyone else's opinion.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Muzzle loading seasons we started after NMLRA started lobbying for them in the '60s...By the '70s most states had one or were moving in that direction...At that time most were getting into muzzle loading for the challenge of using a more primitive weapon...Well, like archery, others had different ideas and were using the season for more time afield and more meat in the freezer...It's too more don't care about our history or the development of firearms...There are some, who do still like to use flintlocks to harvest their game but we are a dying breed...

Old 06-02-2017, 04:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I remember shooting my buddy's .50 cal flintlock Hawken rifle back in the 70'5 at paint cans at 80 yards - we considered that, the distance we would normally shoot with that gun.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

I support scopes in muzzleloader seasons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.