Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Scopes on Muzzleloaders... For or Against? >

Scopes on Muzzleloaders... For or Against?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scopes on Muzzleloaders... For or Against?

Old 05-31-2017, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I live in Minnesota, and I say if its legal, I don't have a problem with it. With that said, I doubt I will scope my CVA Optima.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a TC Omega. The BP season I hunt is only 2 wks. long. My inline will be used open sighted and no sabots. After season, I intend to scope it w/quick detach rings and use in place of an center fire rifle because I don't have CF rifle access close by.
Am considering getting a side lock and also believe in traditional purity. I also believe people are going to hunt how they intend and I can't change their minds.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 05-31-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hunt with it anyway you want, scope or no scope; if you are looking to extend your season.

However if you "want" to use a muzzle loader, I assume you are looking to use a more primitive weapon ??

Do what you like ...............................
Old 05-31-2017, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with the primitive/open sight deal, but my 58 year old eyes appreciate having a scope.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

Do they make a lefthanded flintlock? I have a lefthanded T/C Renegade ( percussion capped), but haven't used it in awhile.
Bill

Last edited by wjsmall97; 06-05-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:43 AM
Dominant Buck

I have 2 muzzle loaders. One is a TC side lock percussion cap 54 with open sights and the other is a TC 50 cal in line with a scope. I have taken deer with both and enjoy each one on its own merits. Times are changing and as the hunting population gets older some rules have been changed to encourage people to hunt as they age. Many states have allowed scopes in the primitive season and the use of crossbows during bow to keep the seniors hunting. I don't have a problem with any of this so long as it is legal where it is done.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I have 2 muzzle loaders. One is a TC side lock percussion cap 54 with open sights and the other is a TC 50 cal in line with a scope. I have taken deer with both and enjoy each one on its own merits. Times are changing and as the hunting population gets older some rules have been changed to encourage people to hunt as they age. Many states have allowed scopes in the primitive season and the use of crossbows during bow to keep the seniors hunting. I don't have a problem with any of this so long as it is legal where it is done.
well I sure agree times have changed LOL

But I DON"T think they changed any rules to help older hunters out,
they allow things like X bows and inlines, to get more modern folks into hunting, as honestly, folks today DON"T have the desire to hunt as they once did, as in ALL things today, they want EASY, or as easy as can be,
and hunter numbers are dropping, so there opening up more ways to TRY and get younger folks into the sport.
I am pretty sure most OLDER hunters that have been life long hunters, ain't going any where , till they cannot hunt any more,
so NEW scopes on inlines and such,(think allowing AR's and X bows in more and more places too, and I don't have any real issue's here with that stuff either)
I just doubt is really for the older hunters at all, its about, TRYING to get new hunters more reasons to hunt today!
Hunting is a business, and they are trying to generate more business, plain and simple, more seasons, more lic fee's they can collect, and HOPE to get more hunters in as well, which also means more lic sales, and I hope, what keeps hunting around for a long time.

but again, I don't think any of this has crap to do with caring about older hunters here?? ITS just more money and trying to keep the game going!
Old 06-01-2017, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no issue with it, use what is legal. If a state wants to redefine primitive weapons then I can see where scopes and other issues would come to the forefront of the definition and I also would not have an issue with that. I will go hunt not matter what and use what is legal in whatever season it is.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

In my native CO, muzzleloaders used in the muzzleloading season must wear open sights and scopes are not allowed. But you can use a scoped muzzleloader in the regular rifle season. When I was stationed on the East Coast there were a lot of areas where you couldn't use a centerfire rifle. It was archery, shotgun or muzzleloader and the muzzleloader could be scoped. That's why I have a Rem Model 700 ML in 54 with a scope. It smacked a lot of whitetails in VA.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by flags
In my native CO, muzzleloaders used in the muzzleloading season must wear open sights and scopes are not allowed. But you can use a scoped muzzleloader in the regular rifle season. When I was stationed on the East Coast there were a lot of areas where you couldn't use a centerfire rifle. It was archery, shotgun or muzzleloader and the muzzleloader could be scoped. That's why I have a Rem Model 700 ML in 54 with a scope. It smacked a lot of whitetails in VA.
That must have really smacked them. Lots of lead for those Virginia deer. My brother lives down there now and shoots some pretty nice racked deer. I like to lite load my 54 and shoot on the range. Still get the smoke but not much recoil and a great sound when the bullet smacks the target or hits a water filled milk jug.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.