Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Scopes on Muzzleloaders... For or Against? >

Scopes on Muzzleloaders... For or Against?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scopes on Muzzleloaders... For or Against?

Old 06-03-2017, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

Here in Virginia we do not have a " Primitive" weapons season. It is broken down to Archery, Muzzleloader and General seasons. If you want a scope on a ML there is no problem with it. If it is legal feel free, do not like then do not use one. Life is full of xhoices.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:43 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by uncle matt
This isn't a question about one brand vs another or something like that. It is very simple. Use a scope on a ML or not.

I see this as a personal question and I would not base my decision on anyone else's opinion.
That's why I never asked anything about brands, or looking to have anyone persuade me or others with their answers. I was just wondering what others think about the subject, and for those in states where it only recently became legal, maybe their input on if they noticed any changes in deer mortality vs wounded game, and if they noticed any significant changes in hunter numbers in the field either increasing or even just more current hunters taking up muzzleloaders.

I'm always interested in seeing what others have to say about controversial hunting topics. This one here has a lot of Minnesotans very happy, and a lot of them very angry. Most of that comes from not asking questions and looking for real answers, and basing their attitude on emotion alone.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Thankfully Michigan has a muzzle loader season after the regular fire arm season. If it is above 45cal scoped or not scoped it is legal.
We in Michigan also know they were building in line muzzle loading rifles as early as 1836. I often wonder where the primitive folks stop at a weapon being primitive.

I would say any thing past the split stick with a nice rock woven into the split is primitive and arrows with real flint heads. Other wise they aren't really very primitive.

Scoped or not should be up to the hunter if legal in their state. I can't even fathom why any one would want to fight the scope non scope question, as it should just be up to the hunter just as it is the modern rifle.

Al
Old 06-04-2017, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thankfully Michigan has a muzzle loader season after the regular fire arm season. If it is above 45cal scoped or not scoped it is legal.
No caliber restriction anymore
Old 06-04-2017, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I will take mine scoped, 45cal and smokeless thank you.

Or 50cal but i prefer a 45.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 06-04-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
We in Michigan also know they were building in line muzzle loading rifles as early as 1836. I often wonder where the primitive folks stop at a weapon being primitive.

I would say any thing past the split stick with a nice rock woven into the split is primitive and arrows with real flint heads. Other wise they aren't really very primitive.

Scoped or not should be up to the hunter if legal in their state. I can't even fathom why any one would want to fight the scope non scope question, as it should just be up to the hunter just as it is the modern rifle.

Al

I generally agree with this. The exception being a situation like in PA. Allot of people want the flintlock season to be an any muzzleloader season. However I enjoy the flintlock only season. And PA has an early Muzzleloader season in October.

Many people look at the flintlock season as being restrictive. I look at it as an additional opportunity.

-Jake
Old 06-09-2017, 07:31 AM
Spike

I think several considerations should be factored in - and Minnesota DNR probably already has. In my home state of Arkansas - we have a statewide 3 pt antler restriction - on one side (except in the CWD area) - and a scope is most helpful when trying to determine if a deer is legal or not based upon how many points it is carrying. In addition, most states have a fairly healthy deer population - and most state Biologists are more worried about not killing enough deer than they are too many deer. A scoped weapon allows for higher harvest rates. I am not aware of laws that require a person to use a scope if they don't want to.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Actually, binoculars are better than a scope to look at the rack on a deer. The problem isn't forcing anyone to use a scope, it people who want to use them in a season that doesn't allow them.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

For the last 5 years i've had a special license that allows me to use a scope in Colorado during muzzleloader season. I've never used it, because I felt I had an unfair advantage over the other hunters.

I struggled along with primitive sights and had to be within 30-40yds to take a shot. Now, I can't even shoot that far and make a humane shot. So, this year i'll be thinking of the game instead of the other hunters and use a scope.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let me ask a question, do you guys recognize or see the season differently if it is labeled as primitive vs muzzleloader? Just curious because if I saw the season listed as primitive then I would think no scope old style muzzies and recurves vs modern muzzies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.