HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   7mm-08 for Deer??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/414026-7mm-08-deer.html)

HancockHunter 05-30-2017 05:35 PM

7mm-08 for Deer???

I know the 7mm-08 can kill a deer, but what do y'all think of it out to around 400 yds? Do you think I am asking too much, if not, what bullet would you suggest? I was thinking Barnes TTSX, but at 400 they are hovering about 2,000 fps based on chart. Opinions?

younggun308 05-30-2017 06:17 PM

I highly doubt the cartridge will have any problems getting the job done at that range.

Barnes copper bullets don't expand great once they slow down to where they get close to 1800fps. If you'll be shooting that far, you really might want to consider switching down to a bullet that's not as tough. Personally, I don't see why a soft point or a bonded lead core bullet wouldn't be ideal.

nchawkeye 05-31-2017 02:26 AM

My brother has used his since the early '80s, has killed over 300 with it...We have 3 farms in eastern NC, can't tell you how far his farthest is but we have plenty of fields where shots are almost as far as you can see...The limiting factor will not be the cartridge, it will be the shooter...

He uses 140gr Remington CoreLokts, no real need for anything else on deer... ;)

mrbb 05-31-2017 07:29 AM

I have killed 7 caribou at the 400 yard mark with a 7mm08 and all dropped in there tracks, have killed deer from almost point blank to about 550 yards with it as well, never lost a deer yet, all came down pretty fast too, if not in there tracks, under a 100 yards for sure!

the real name of the game is bullet placement and condition of the animal at time of shot if you ask me!

I have been using 140 grain ballistic tip's, group small, and again never lost a animal yet, all fast clean kills in my eye's, but never had a poor hit to date either!
been hunting with this caliber since about the yr after it came out! early 80's if memory is any good??

Bocajnala 05-31-2017 02:42 PM

The 7mm-08 may be the "Best" whitetail cartridge ever developed for use at all reasonable ranges. SHould have no issue at 400 yards.
-Jake

hunters_life 06-01-2017 12:55 PM

My very first brand new rifle was a 7mm08 that my dad built for me. It was for my 12th birthday so it was in 1979. It was a graduation up from my .243 which had been one of dads little trainer guns and still is to this very day. That little .243 was in all his kids hands and was the first rifle other than a .22 that my twins shot. Obviously my 7mm08 was a wildcat rifle as that was well before Remington adopted the cartridge as their own little invention. Even though the old man and many others had been using it for years. 400 yards, depending on your abilities, is within the range of the 7mm08 with the proper bullet weight. I wouldn't drop below a 139 grain bullet if you plan on reaching out there. Also, as younggun308 suggested, you will want to kind of split the difference on bullet toughness. You will want a bullet that will hold together well at close range and still open if you do have a situation where you have to really reach out. Our family has become real Hornady bullet fans over the years. I have taken a ton of deer and elk with the interlock line. They perform well at close and long ranges where the bullet has slowed a good bit. But my old man did have a saying and I tend to completely agree with it. Just because the rifle is capable of that range, doesn't mean you are. 400 yards is a pretty good reach for the common individual. Near twice as long as most ranges have for practicing. So if you do plan on that shot, please don't think you can use some ballistics calculator and holdover. Practice a lot so you can have the confidence and ability to put that bullet in the spot that will bring that animal down quickly.

TN Lone Wolf 06-02-2017 06:30 PM

I think that if you do your part, a 7mm-08 with a properly constructed bullet will definitely kill a deer at 400 yards. Although, as the others have said, you need to practice, practice, and practice some more at those ranges before you take a shot on a deer that far.

botechboy 06-04-2017 04:09 PM

7mm-08 will do the job all advise has been pretty much covered practice bullets etc .. it's an awesome caliber I started my son and daughter both on the caliber in a encore rifle she now has a bolt in a savage stainless hunter great calibers for sure

Sheridan 06-04-2017 08:34 PM

There are bigger calibers & smaller calibers all of which will do the job if you do your part.

Bullet placement + bullet construction = success !?!?