Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

MIDDAY HUNTING

Old 10-28-2003, 08:31 PM

Default MIDDAY HUNTING

What are your experiences on hunting during the middle part of the day?
Old 10-28-2003, 08:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: MIDDAY HUNTING

Usually by then my back hurts so bad I am out of the stand, but there is no reason not to hunt during the middle of the day. A lot of people claim that if you can stay there that the other hunters leaving out at 10 or 11 will stir up the deer for you if you maintain your position.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:26 PM

I think that it is a very productive time expecially during the rut. last season i was " resting my eyes" during the day when i was woken by kaboom!!!! it' s my hunting partner...he shot something. I looked at my watch and it was 2:15 so i went over to his stand to check things out and he got a huge 8 point. well it wasnt like a monster buck or even scoring huge but it was about a 100" class buck
Old 10-28-2003, 09:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

During the rut it is a no brainer, midday is the best time to be hunting. That being said it can be very productive at other times like prerut and post rut using techniques such as spot & stalk, still hunting, stand locations in transition areas near bed or water, food source in the bush or secluded(especially post rut) and so on. The only time midday is a futile effort is warm weather that doesn' t have deer moving or allow you to sneak around. Hey anytime your in the woods has better odds than sitting at home for filling your tag. A bad day hunting is still a good day
Old 10-28-2003, 10:11 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-31-2003, 09:08 AM

Midday is the best. For years my hunting buddies and I hunted til 9:30 then meet back at the cabin. The last two years I have focused on staying in the stand til 12 or 1. I hunt in the mountains of VA. This past week I found an Oak Flat that was producing acorns and I had steady deer traffic from 10:30 til 12:30. No shooters though. I even had a doe bed 20 yards from me. Had to bump her off the bed....wifes water broke... had a " button buck" weighed 8lbs.

Old 10-31-2003, 09:11 AM

well no coments from me you all said it exactly, but you will see less deer but better quality bucks guranteed
Old 10-31-2003, 09:13 AM

I have shot 3 bucks between 10 and 12 noon. Im a true believer that they
get up to feed again during that time. So I usually sit tight during those hours, and
it has paid off.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:18 AM
Log

On public land i have found that Mid day hunting is almost a must do. (firearm season for the most part) when everbody gets up to go to lunch they are definatly pushing around deer thathave beded down on moving to bedding areas. i have had some real success in this time off day. Private land on the other hand, know i have seen some nice deer in the afternoon, but it is does not seem to be as efective as you and your hunting partners are the only people around! When i am hunting my private land though i still try to be the last one out after my buddies, for the same reason. lol Bottom line....there is NO for sures. you definatly have no chance at camp telling stories. Remember it is the wonderful out-of-doors....why leave!
Old 10-31-2003, 01:39 PM

I read that somewhere that around 25% of all PY Bucks have been killed between 10-2. When you consider that the majority of hunters are out of the woods at that time. It looks like a no-brainer.

Actually, I' ve been practicing getting my butt ready for longer sits by doing more of this " Board Work" while here at Turd Island! I' m ready!

Quick Reply: MIDDAY HUNTING

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.