Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Wear your orange during gun season! Graphic >

Wear your orange during gun season! Graphic

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wear your orange during gun season! Graphic

Old 10-28-2003, 08:00 PM

Default Wear your orange during gun season! Graphic

Last year my hunting buddy had just killed a nice eight point in Ohio and was bent over gutting it. Well, he was a little hot so he took off his coat/orange safety vest and layed it down beside him so he could finish trimming it up a little.

The next thing he knows he is knocked off his feet and is laying face down a few yard away from where he was at. He could feel this burning sensation in his back and stood up and noticed a little blood and realized that he had just been shot with a slug from a individual that either didn' t identify his target or did not see him while shooting at a deer in the vicinity and missed. My buddy was shot in the back on the left side of his spine and the slug exited through and came out on the right side of his missing his spine by millimeters and he was very fortunate that he actually walked out under his own power for approximately a 1/2 mile and met up with another buddy who drove him to the hospital.

The doctor dressed his wounds and he walked out of the hospital the same day with no internal injuries what so ever! The slug narrowly missed taking him from his wife and kids. Just a few weeks later we were out muzzleload hunting, yes I said hunting again. He was awfully sore but insisted that he wasn' t going to let a one ounce slug ruin his deer season. Anyway, I was actually the one who had to suffer because he had me play nurse and had me change his dressings twice a day for three days. Yes it was pretty gross but I wasn' t going to keep him from doing what he loves to do. Here is the picture of his wound, it actually looks pretty good here compared to what it looked like right after he was shot.

PLEASE WEAR YOUR ORANGE, THERE' S A REASON FOR IT.........LIFE
Old 10-29-2003, 03:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wear your orange during gun season! Graphic

I dont see a pic , but the story alone is enough to keep me from going on public land during gun season![:' (]
Old 10-29-2003, 08:48 AM

Maybe the A-hole who shot him was actually shooting at the deer he was gutting. If he was dumb enough to shoot him who knows????

Glad to hear your buddy is alright.

I can' t see pics either.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I cannot see teh picture either but I know it can happen. I am so thankful that the club that I hunt with is very safe and the people are aware of what is going on. Knock on wood!!!!
Old 10-29-2003, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t know if I' d want to see the pic. I imagine it was pretty bad from the sounds of things. It' s a good thing he was able to live to tell the story. Not to mention back in the woods hunting.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

years ago I had some dip shoot at a deer I was dragging.and I was fully in orange
Old 10-29-2003, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

i never take my orange off....my dad sometimes does but hangs it in a tree...i always keep it on...and carry a few orange hats i hang in the tree near me when im gutting....and i put them on the deer if im going to hunt some more.....me and my dad had 2 deer down and still had more tags so we hunted longer...we had orange all around them just to be safe.....and my dads friend was with me the day i got my first deer...he put a red bandana on the deers left leg just above the joint......he told me i was one of the few in the " red bandana" club for making such a great shot on my first deer....i was 12 and thought it was true.....but my dad told me it was for saftey......it was small but still if your aiming at my deer youd see it unless you were a moron......im going to start using it every deer i take.....it makes great conversation in my pics...and may save my life......just something little but who knows......it should work unless someones blind........
Old 10-29-2003, 10:09 PM

To see the graphic picture of my buddies back go to my hunting pics
www.geocities.com/boss1impact/huntingpage.html
Old 10-29-2003, 10:21 PM

Man, your friend was one lucky man with an Angel on his back! Did you ever locate the person whom fired the shot?

Nice pics on your site...
Old 10-29-2003, 10:56 PM

Well I tried to go to the site out of curiousity, but the " page is unavailable" right now. Could just be my damn computer. Anyway, orange is required where I hunt, but it really shouldn' t be necessary. Anybody that is out there hunting should realize that a deer looks much different from a human. I just don' t understand how accidents such as you described happen. People that shoot at brown, or white, or movement, or sound, or anything like that have no business being out there in the first place. It' s really not all that hard to distinguish a human from a deer........why so many hunting accidents?

Quick Reply: Wear your orange during gun season! Graphic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.