Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Leupold CDS for 444

Old 04-08-2017, 11:26 AM
Spike

Default Leupold CDS for 444

I've got a Marlin 444 that I'm going to be using for deer in Ohio. What Leupold scope model that has the dial should I get?
Old 04-14-2017, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

My $.02 .... I have and hunt with a Marlin "Guide" in 444 Marlin. I consider CDs type scopes advantageous for long range shooting ... 400 yards +/- and out. My opinion the 444 Marlin is not that gun. I would not pay extra for that feature. I use mine only in areas where I know shots will be 200-ish or less, and frankly most areas I hunt with this rifle the shots will be around 100 or so, or less. I have found bullet drop is easily manageable out to 200 yards without CDs. My scope is an older Leupold Vari--X III compact , 1.5-4 X 32mm with a German #4. Good luck.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

All you need on a cartridge like the 444 is a good fixed power of either 2x or 4x. That's what I put on my 450 Marlin and it has worked well out to 200 yards. mine is a Burris but any of the current makers have a scope that will fit the bill.

With the 444 you won't be shooting far enough to have to compute bullet drop. That cartridge was designed as a short range affair. If you want a long range rig get a 7mm Mag or a 300 Mag.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Listen to the guys and do what they mentioned. There is absolutely no need for a scope with a compensation feature on it for that caliber.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

well I might disagre here, IF a GUY wishes to shoot that caliber a little ways out there knowing ranges and drop will be super handy, as from say 150 225 yards, is a BIG drop no??
being able to turn a dial to yardage (if you know it) can save a poor shot maybe into a kill?
as for what scopes can you add that system too, best suggestion there is contact Leupold and ask them, I think they can add it to a lot of modern models and several of the higher end models
I have it on a few VX 3's, so know that is one of them for sure it can be done to!

its NOT that costly to have added either, so no reason NOT to have it, NOT like it adds any weight or ?? to things!, it can ONLY help you!
and at times they even offer it FREE when they run sales on them, but you will need to know your load data for them to make it come close, and its just that CLOSE< NOT 100% , if you get it MAKE sure you shoot it at ranges you will take shots at in the field, DON"T just poke and hope its right!
Old 04-15-2017, 06:56 PM
Spike

One of the few times I would recommend a "fixed" (+/-4X) powered scope
Old 04-15-2017, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

mrbb---All you have to do is zero that straight power scope at 200 yards and everything below that is going to be in the boiler room with a hold high on the chest. A little bit past 200 yards all you need to do is put the crosshairs near the top of it's back and you're easily in the boiler room at that distance or a little further. As flags stated, if you want to shoot further than that then get another caliber designed for the task, not the 444.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
mrbb---All you have to do is zero that straight power scope at 200 yards and everything below that is going to be in the boiler room with a hold high on the chest. A little bit past 200 yards all you need to do is put the crosshairs near the top of it's back and you're easily in the boiler room at that distance or a little further. As flags stated, if you want to shoot further than that then get another caliber designed for the task, not the 444.
I fully understand the thought here, but your theory can be said with about any modern center fire deer caliber rifle
many folks like to shoot LONG range for either FUN or hunting, there are tons of matches out to a 1,000 yards on guns and calibers like the 45/70, which is similar to this
and again there is NOTHING wrong with having a dial on a scope, it effects nothing really, (just make sure again you shoot it at said ranges to verify things)just give the owner more peace of mind IF they wish to shoot farther

I been shooting 1,000 yard matches since the late 80's
so, I have a rather long understanding of the game here, in case anyone wondering??

I personally would rather a guy have a dial and USE it than just HOLD on a deer and THINK its in the ball park too!
what harm does it have on things to have it??

and YES way better calibers are out there for long range shooting, but there is no reason to say a guy cannot enjoy what he likes either?
Old 04-16-2017, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

MR.BB, Hunting is not target shooting. There are fewer variables in target shooting. Like the animal moving, or a twig that you can't/don't see. Excitement of seeing an animal. Fixed target matches, have no such variables.

Now, if you make the argument that its not about need, but just about desire. Then you have a dog that will hunt.

Heck, I have a tack driving .243 bolt. It will out shoot me, in better hands. But I don't need or want a varmint scope on it with multiple turrets and technology that I don't even know how to use. But with a simple fixed power scope. Its a perfectly serviceable firearm.
Because it does just what I want and need it to do. Kill Deer. Just like my 7mm Mag does.

Last edited by sconnyhunter; 04-16-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
MR.BB, Hunting is not target shooting. There are fewer variables in target shooting. Like the animal moving, or a twig that you can't/don't see. Excitement of seeing an animal. Fixed target matches, have no such variables.

Now, if you make the argument that its not about need, but just about desire. Then you have a dog that will hunt.

Heck, I have a tack driving .243 bolt. It will out shoot me, in better hands. But I don't need or want a varmint scope on it with multiple turrets and technology that I don't even know how to use. But with a simple fixed power scope. Its a perfectly serviceable firearm.
Because it does just what I want and need it to do. Kill Deer. Just like my 7mm Mag does.
I am a LONG time hunter, so I know the things that happen while hunting just fine(and NO bad intentions here)
but you are WRONG, there are many variables in target shooting, that can make HUGE differences
like WIND gusts for a a HUGE one!
as don't forget when your in matches, its the SMALL things that matter

as it is in hunting at times, BOTH have there elements of things that can happen, excitement is in both,
IF you tree stand hunt, you can KNOW yardages just like in targets

as I said, with ANY modern centerfire rifle , with the logic, of , being in the KILL zone at 0-200 yards, if we all stuck to this, there would never be any advancement in tools, as WHY would we need them?/
tools like the range dial on a scope is just that an added tool to HELP , you may never need it, or want it
BUT there is NO reason to tell a fellow hunter he doesn't need it too, as again, like you said, MAYBE he just WANTS IT, and with that, he asked for info on what scopes he can get it in, NOT if he needed it or not NO??? LOL
as I said, I mean NO dis respect here to anyone

I was just saying there are folks that WISH to push the limits of the calibers they shoot, I am NOT saying its GOOD to do or not, its just a fact some folks do this, SO< for them, more tools can ONLY I HOPE mean less lost game!

I was part of a several yr video series on long range hunting, SO I know for a FACT there are MANY guys that hunt LONG range, and plenty of time to range and dope a scope in the field hunting.
I DON"T hunt long range anymore, I don't find it to be HUNTING< by MY definition, its just more of a shooting game, so I don't do it anymore, MY choice and I don't bash others that still wish to do it!
BUT I can offer advice and suggestions ,a s I had YRS and yrs in that type of hunting!
and just saying, NOT bragging by any means!

Last edited by mrbb; 04-16-2017 at 06:23 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.