Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Leupold CDS for 444

Old 04-30-2017, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

No fancy scope needed for a something, for example, that shoots a few inches low at 200 yards when zeroed at 150. There would be alot of drop to adjust for 200-300 yards and too much drop any farther to justify a CDS turrent. A simple but good scope is also cheaper and lighter than one with the bells and whistles.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:04 PM
Spike

Wow, I've been busy the last few weeks and haven't checked up on my post.
I appreciate all the advice on scope choice. The reason for asking about the CDS is I'm wanting a Leupold that is very good at low light, which that usually brings up the price and the CDS should be available as well as a light up reticle for not much more. I figured the 444 would be usable on deer to 250 yards if it was accurate.
I have a ACOG on a AR and a Trijicon 2.5-12x on a FNAR .308 so I'm familiar with some scopes.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

I'll be the odd man out. I like a variable scope. I used to run straight 4's on some of my rifles. But when PA went to the antler restrictions, I slowly switched over. Now my .44 mags, and even most of my .22s have a variable of some sort. And I use the variable power often while hunting. I've found I'm just typically more comfortable taking a shot on a higher power. Even on things like squirrels high up in a tree, etc. Yes, Binoculars could be used for some of that, as far as the antler restriction and counting points go etc, but I like to have the variable option on shots. Many times I have pulled the gun up while set on 4, and cranked my scope to 8 or 9 before taking the shot. Just personal preference.

That doesn't help you with a suggestion for the cds, just throwing out that there's nothing wrong with a variable power scope if that's what a person wants. What happened to personal preference lol?
-Jake
Old 05-08-2017, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too like having a variable power scope. How much I crank it up right before a shot entirely depends on the distance the animal is at and the light.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:58 AM
Spike

I like a variable scope to, even have them on my 2 pellet guns.
I've got another 444 coming that's a CVA single shot that will have a Zeiss 3-9-42.
I may go with a Nikon on one of the Marlin 444P's and see which scope I like best before getting one for the other 444. Nikon has a app that calculates the drop of whatever caliber and bullet your using to the dots under the crosshair.
Anyone have experience with it?
Old 05-09-2017, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Talstar1234
I like a variable scope to, even have them on my 2 pellet guns.
I've got another 444 coming that's a CVA single shot that will have a Zeiss 3-9-42.
I may go with a Nikon on one of the Marlin 444P's and see which scope I like best before getting one for the other 444. Nikon has a app that calculates the drop of whatever caliber and bullet your using to the dots under the crosshair.
Anyone have experience with it?
Yes, the website, and as a pre-shooting application only. Not practicing to determine a gun's actual trajectory compared to an apparent calculated trajectory, is no different than ordering a custom dial turrent without providing chronographed velocities for that specific rifle. Ballistics calculators save me time and ammo when sighting in and practicing reference points for bullet drop.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:56 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by d80hunter
Yes, the website, and as a pre-shooting application only. Not practicing to determine a gun's actual trajectory compared to an apparent calculated trajectory, is no different than ordering a custom dial turrent without providing chronographed velocities for that specific rifle. Ballistics calculators save me time and ammo when sighting in and practicing reference points for bullet drop.
I will definitely practice with the guns once sighted in. The velocity of the two Marlins will be lower because they have shorter barrels(18 1/2).
Old 05-09-2017, 03:03 PM
Typical Buck

I use Nikon's SpotOn software frequently and have found it to be, well, pretty spot on. You definitely need to test your bullet drops at those ranges just to be sure, though.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:21 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf
I use Nikon's SpotOn software frequently and have found it to be, well, pretty spot on. You definitely need to test your bullet drops at those ranges just to be sure, though.
I'm looking forward to trying the big-bores out. Besides my muzzle loader and 12ga slug gun I've never worried about the drop of the bullet to much. I alway sighted my 270 and 308 at a inch or 2 high at 100 yards and let them be. I did use the ACOG drop lines on my AR-15 to kill a deer at over 325 yards once and it was pretty spot on.
Another reason I like a variable scope is to see how big of a buck I'm shooting at. In Ohio I'm allowed 1 buck so I want to be sure he's a good one and at 200 yards a 9 power scope is a lot better than 4 power especially since my 47 year old eyes are not what they use to be
Old 05-09-2017, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Talstar1234
I'm looking forward to trying the big-bores out. Besides my muzzle loader and 12ga slug gun I've never worried about the drop of the bullet to much. I alway sighted my 270 and 308 at a inch or 2 high at 100 yards and let them be. I did use the ACOG drop lines on my AR-15 to kill a deer at over 325 yards once and it was pretty spot on.
Another reason I like a variable scope is to see how big of a buck I'm shooting at. In Ohio I'm allowed 1 buck so I want to be sure he's a good one and at 200 yards a 9 power scope is a lot better than 4 power especially since my 47 year old eyes are not what they use to be
I fully agree with you, a vari powered scope can be a great tool, and help a hunter be able to make better calls on targets.
I even have vari powered scopes on Air rifles and 22's and the likes, the small amount of extra weight to me doesn't matter to me,since most of my deer hunting is from stands , I sit in for hours!

Well, unless I am out stalking things, or going up Mt's, and then I have light weight rifles for that stuff! and they have light weight vari powered scopes on them too LOL

MY eye's ain't sop great no more, I take help where I can find it!

hunted Ohio for almost 20 yrs, its a great state for BIG bucks
best of luck to you, and post what you end up with, both scope and buck wise this upcoming season!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.