Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Leupold CDS for 444

Old 04-17-2017, 04:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Look at the original post. Does that guy sound like a long range hunter? Did he even mention long range shooting in OH? A 444 Marlin is probably the worst possible rig for long range work you can buy. It is loaded with too light of a bullet for the caliber for long shots. No sectional density at all. It shoots the same bullet a 44 mag handgun shoots.

My take is the OP is a rookie all caught up in what the magazines are telling him to buy when all he needs is a good fixed power scope.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flags
Look at the original post. Does that guy sound like a long range hunter? Did he even mention long range shooting in OH? A 444 Marlin is probably the worst possible rig for long range work you can buy. It is loaded with too light of a bullet for the caliber for long shots. No sectional density at all. It shoots the same bullet a 44 mag handgun shoots.

My take is the OP is a rookie all caught up in what the magazines are telling him to buy when all he needs is a good fixed power scope.
Agree 100% with you flags! IMHO telling the guy to invest in a dial system for that cartridge would probably give him a sense that he can shoot way out on an animal since his question was strictly a hunting situation. There is absolutely no need for anything other than a low fixed power scope zeroed for 200 yards for the maximum range a 444 is designed for to humanely take a deer! Lobbing shots at a distant paper or gong target is not what this thread is all about.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-17-2017 at 05:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-17-2017, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

All you need on a cartridge like the 444 is a good fixed power of either 2x or 4x. That's what I put on my 450 Marlin and it has worked well out to 200 yards. mine is a Burris but any of the current makers have a scope that will fit the bill.

With the 444 you won't be shooting far enough to have to compute bullet drop. That cartridge was designed as a short range affair. If you want a long range rig get a 7mm Mag or a 300 Mag.
I agree with a 2X or 4X fixed power for shots up to 200 yards. I know it's off topic but I find it curious (even comical sometimes) that when it comes to slug guns many shun fixed power.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mrbb
I am a LONG time hunter, so I know the things that happen while hunting just fine(and NO bad intentions here)
but you are WRONG, there are many variables in target shooting, that can make HUGE differences
like WIND gusts for a a HUGE one!
as don't forget when your in matches, its the SMALL things that matter

as it is in hunting at times, BOTH have there elements of things that can happen, excitement is in both,
IF you tree stand hunt, you can KNOW yardages just like in targets

as I said, with ANY modern centerfire rifle , with the logic, of , being in the KILL zone at 0-200 yards, if we all stuck to this, there would never be any advancement in tools, as WHY would we need them?/
tools like the range dial on a scope is just that an added tool to HELP , you may never need it, or want it
BUT there is NO reason to tell a fellow hunter he doesn't need it too, as again, like you said, MAYBE he just WANTS IT, and with that, he asked for info on what scopes he can get it in, NOT if he needed it or not NO??? LOL
as I said, I mean NO dis respect here to anyone

I was just saying there are folks that WISH to push the limits of the calibers they shoot, I am NOT saying its GOOD to do or not, its just a fact some folks do this, SO< for them, more tools can ONLY I HOPE mean less lost game!

I was part of a several yr video series on long range hunting, SO I know for a FACT there are MANY guys that hunt LONG range, and plenty of time to range and dope a scope in the field hunting.
I DON"T hunt long range anymore, I don't find it to be HUNTING< by MY definition, its just more of a shooting game, so I don't do it anymore, MY choice and I don't bash others that still wish to do it!
BUT I can offer advice and suggestions ,a s I had YRS and yrs in that type of hunting!
and just saying, NOT bragging by any means!
I'm sure your mother's proud.

But again, Hunting isn't target shooting.

And as I said, if its about want? Have at it.

If its about need?
There is no need to put a $1k scope on a 150 yard deer gun. When a $80 Walmart special will suffice. Obviously I'm being sarcastic in the extreme in that comparison. But it gets my point across.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mrjohn12
One of the few times I would recommend a "fixed" (+/-4X) powered scope
+1

Count me in too !
Old 04-17-2017, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK guys, you like to pick on folks like me I guess LOL

BUT to be honest the OP asked WHAT scopes the CDS dial system come on, NOT what scope he should have or use or the likes
your jumping to conclusions that I am reading into things that he wishes to shoot FAR at targets OR GAME
and I NEVER said such a thing
I gave examples of why it can ONLY help

it was the OP"s first post and you guys ran away with YOUR IDEA OF THE right SCOPE FOR his GUN
maybe the guy has lesser vision older eye's or just like to see more details of a scope with more power, GEEZ?S
I gave him some advice based on first hand knowledge and experience(and YES My mother is proud of me, thanks for asking)

I also SAID< that before shooting at any GAME, with a CDS system or the likes, to CONFIRM that they are correct!!

you's like to saya FIXED scope is ALL that;'s needed, then so is ONLY one big game caliber and the likes, if you follow this logic,
there are many calibers that all work rather similar NO??
does the fact someone like a 7mm08 over a .243 mean one is wrong and other is right, ?? NO
I'm a BIG boy and can take what ever you;'s like to dish out at me, BUT this OP< asked about WHAT scoped he can get the CDS system on.

NOT what scope YOU"S think he should be using!

MY advice was contact Leupold, and thru out that I have it on several VX III model scopes SO KNOW they can be done on them??

I never even bothered to LIST what POWER scopes here?? just answered the OP"s original posted question

and you's all ran off subject telling him and he doesn't need it, and then trying to tell me the difference between target shooting and hunting, as IF I didn;t know??

if anyone doesn't think there is variable's and things that occur in target shooting, and matches, I gather you never been in one??
as with that logic, then everyone in them would be shooting perfect scores, no???

Come on guys, ??
if you wish to pick on me so be it, but the OP"S question wasn't about what scope he should use??
so didn't blame me for giving honest advice./suggestion to him?
you all are welcome to PM me anything else you don't like about me??
and say taking this off farther off subject than it has been!
Old 04-17-2017, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why not just admit it when you're wrong and quit making excuses trying to explain why you think you're right, LOL?!!! The OP by asking the question he did is obviously a newbie at things and why we told him what we did to get him on track as to what he really needs for the hunting situation he asked about.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Why not just admit it when you're wrong and quit making excuses trying to explain why you think you're right, LOL?!!! The OP by asking the question he did is obviously a newbie at things and why we told him what we did to get him on track as to what he really needs for the hunting situation he asked about.
SO< in your opinion, you think we all should ASSUME what the OP is asking and just answer him in what YOU think he needs to know or do?
Wonderful

and I am NOT wrong, sorry, but there is NOTHING wrong with having a CDS system on scope, doesn't hurt anything, maybe you do NOT know what they are??
it doesn't add any weight or??
and scope can be used JUST as it was prior to it being on there??
Maybe you need to learn more before you ASSUME< and maybe stop trying to be a online bully, and either just reply to the OP's question, or skip the tread!
world is full of know it all's
I feel sorry for the OP< and his first post going off topic on him!

the warm welcome here from some, , to tell him he doesn;'t need what he was wanting is just special!!
Old 04-18-2017, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mrbb
SO< in your opinion, you think we all should ASSUME what the OP is asking and just answer him in what YOU think he needs to know or do?
Wonderful
I suggest you go back and actually read the original post. Tell you what, I'm going to make it easy for you and post it right here:

"I've got a Marlin 444 that I'm going to be using for deer in Ohio. What Leupold scope model that has the dial should I get?"

So tell me where in that 2 sentence post do you see where he is wanting to be the next Chris Kyle or Carlos Hathcock? Did he mention long range shooting? He specifically says he is going to use it for deer in OH!!!!! Did you miss that part or are you being obtuse (you may want to look that word up) simply for the sake of being obtuse?

Many of us, myself included, offered advise that the scope he is talking about would not be the best choice for the rifle he has. You did see where he asks what scope he should get didn't you? And the answer is, for a 444 Marlin, he would be best off with a low magnification fixed power scope. I follow my own advice here because my 450 Marlin wears a 4X Burris.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I suggest you go back and actually read the original post. Tell you what, I'm going to make it easy for you and post it right here:

"I've got a Marlin 444 that I'm going to be using for deer in Ohio. What Leupold scope model that has the dial should I get?"

So tell me where in that 2 sentence post do you see where he is wanting to be the next Chris Kyle or Carlos Hathcock? Did he mention long range shooting? He specifically says he is going to use it for deer in OH!!!!! Did you miss that part or are you being obtuse (you may want to look that word up) simply for the sake of being obtuse?

Many of us, myself included, offered advise that the scope he is talking about would not be the best choice for the rifle he has. You did see where he asks what scope he should get didn't you? And the answer is, for a 444 Marlin, he would be best off with a low magnification fixed power scope. I follow my own advice here because my 450 Marlin wears a 4X Burris.
well MAYBE you cannot read his simple question.post?
he stated THIS<

What Leupold scope model that has the dial should I get

a FIXED 4x scope does NOT have the dial on it from Leupold?
he DIDN"T ask what scope in general should he get< he asked what one has the DIAL on it!

WHICH, I answered with best advice I could, CONTACT LEUPOLD!

and NO where in the post did he mention LONG range shooting
BUT the SIMPLE FACT he wanted a scope with a LONG RANGE DIAL< imply's he MIGHT wish to shoot FAR,
Or is that too much for you to grasp?
that MAYBE he wants to shoot FAR and be as accurate as he can

YES he said for hunting, BUT many folks will shoot there guns YR round and do other things with them

ALSO< shooting FAR< teaches you a LOT of GOOD rifle skills, that makes shooting closer easier??

AS I state, I stuck to HIS question, and added some HONEST information
JUST cause YOU have a 4x scope on your 450, doesn't MEAN< everyone with a LIKE gun should have that same set up
or is this too much again for you to understand??

I personally AGREE , CDS scope if NOT the best suited deal for a gun of this caliber, as its NOT a LONG range gun by the standards folks think of when LONG range shooting is taking place!
I;m NOT a fool to miss this!
BUT there are folks that like to test there limits on calibers, there are MANY guys that like to use very small calibers on large game, and LARGE caliber guns on Smaller GAME
its called a PERSONAL choice< AS TO WHAT THE GUN OWNER WISHES TO USE!

he asked again WHAT Leupold scope he can get a dial for??

NOT just what scope YOU"S all think his gun should ONLY have!

NOW< had you answered his question with some models of Leupold scopes that came with the dial, and ADDED<> your opinion that its NOT needed and a NICE 4x power scope would be a GOOD fit
then FINE< I have NO problems with that, and even agree?

BUT you all DIDN't do such, you just took a NEW guy posting a question, assumed he didn;t know what he was talking about and TOLD him to NOT get what he wanted(or MAYBE wanted) and then attacked me for answering HIS TOPIC question!

I even TRIED to get this post back on topic and TOLD you all, feel free to Pm me is you DON"T like what I said, so NOT to HI jack his post!
Guess that doesn't suit some of you that wish to have other READ you bullying tactic's on Your MASTER OPINIONS HERE!??

SO, LIKE you"s I will defend myself as I am NOT wrong here!>?
and I TRIED to keep things light hearted too, if you go back and read MY post before this got where its at!

Last edited by mrbb; 04-18-2017 at 10:02 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.