Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How do you honor a lost hunting buddy? >

How do you honor a lost hunting buddy?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do you honor a lost hunting buddy?

Old 02-13-2017, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am sorry for your loss Flags, thank you for relating the story.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry for your loss Flags and GREAT story and idea. We honor a friends dad here in So. Ill as well. Mike "River Rat" Little passed 2 yrs ago this past Nov. We had a family friend who is a Champion Duck and Goose caller and his brother at the funeral. They done a lonesome hen call at the graveside then as walking away a come back call. Tears filled everyones eyes there!! We then began a yearly duck hunt dedicated to him. The local sporting goods store that he always frequented bought 8 Marsh bags and a duck call in each for each of the sons and grandsons. They had his name, DOB and DOD embroidered on them. No daughters or granddaughters in that bunch. They had a special hunt that year dedicated to him and they used his shotgun, and calls held at his pit. No birds came in that day until about 20mins till the end of the day and a lone greenhead came in and was taken by his grandson with his shotgun. They now hold a hunt each year dedicated to Mike at his pit.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

My father passed two years ago last November. He was an avid hunter and fisherman. He had fished this one particular lake for just over 50 years. Every fish he caught was entered in a journal which my brother now has.
He had always talked about having his ashes spread over this lake. The family waited until his birthday at the end of June. Twenty of us drove the ninety miles to this lake.
He had always said towards the end that the fish from this lake had fed him for all those years and he wanted to repay the fish back by feeding them. We spread his ashes over the lake that day as a final birthday present.

Ron
Old 02-15-2017, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

As A Logger I dragged my Dad out of the woods in 2013! I respect Death!!
Old 02-15-2017, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dad was known as a Jackpine logger, in fact it was the type of tree that killed him. I honored him by planting a Jackpine sappling, near my patio.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gjersy
Dad was known as a Jackpine logger, in fact it was the type of tree that killed him. I honored him by planting a Jackpine sappling, near my patio.
That's cool. Im sure he appreciates that.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rbduck
My father passed two years ago last November. He was an avid hunter and fisherman. He had fished this one particular lake for just over 50 years. Every fish he caught was entered in a journal which my brother now has.
He had always talked about having his ashes spread over this lake. The family waited until his birthday at the end of June. Twenty of us drove the ninety miles to this lake.
He had always said towards the end that the fish from this lake had fed him for all those years and he wanted to repay the fish back by feeding them. We spread his ashes over the lake that day as a final birthday present.

Ron
I know he really appreciated that. I want to be cremated as well. I want my MC crew to take some of my ashes out on a long ride and the last guy in line takes his baggie and spreads the ashes as he is riding. Then he goes up and someone else does theirs. I also want some of my ashes taken and loaded into a 3 or 4 boxes of shotgun shells. Then have them taken to the local trap range and everyone gets a bunch of shells and shoots trap with them, something I really enjoy doing on my off time.