Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First shed of the year.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default First shed of the year.

Its pretty huge, pic doesn't do it justice.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

For reference here it is next to this deers shed from last year

Old 01-16-2017, 02:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Wow is all I can say. Thanks for the pics Rock.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

HUGE
AWE come on, have a gander at this one if you that one is big LOL

these are the real finds!! takes skill to find one's like this LOL
Anyone can trip over the kind you found?? HAHA!
Attached Thumbnails First shed of the year.-shed-2016.jpg   First shed of the year.-shed-2016-1.jpg  
Old 01-16-2017, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

and great find by the way too, just having some fun here!

nothing like a great shed to add hope to next season!
best of luck to you
Old 01-16-2017, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

Real nice. My brother found a really nice set while coyote hunting the week before Christmas. Had a long cold shot that week with highs around zero. Prob 3.5 or 4.5 yo just judging on rack. I shot a 1.5 yo buck that had already lost both antlers during the first late season which was new years wknd. Northern Illinois. Ill post pics if I fig out how to post from phone
Old 01-16-2017, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice! I'd be lookin all over for the other side!
Old 01-17-2017, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

Wow! They don't start dropping here until mid to end of February.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BrushyPines
Wow! They don't start dropping here until mid to end of February.
I wouldn't be so sure on this, and reason is, I have bucks ion my area that I have sen SAME buck drop antlers in DEC early dec one yr and hold next set till March, and then following yr drop in early Jan
have seen some bucks on same farm food and gene pool more or less, drop in early dec and again some not till mid march
I gave up on thinking there is a rhyme or reason they come off, and now just think some drop for what ever reason and same one can hold them longer for some other reason yr to yr
went down the age, food , winter bod or mild route and NOTHING made any repeat sense here
I just start looking from mid dec and find them all yr from there?
Old 01-17-2017, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mrbb
I wouldn't be so sure on this, and reason is, I have bucks ion my area that I have sen SAME buck drop antlers in DEC early dec one yr and hold next set till March, and then following yr drop in early Jan
have seen some bucks on same farm food and gene pool more or less, drop in early dec and again some not till mid march
I gave up on thinking there is a rhyme or reason they come off, and now just think some drop for what ever reason and same one can hold them longer for some other reason yr to yr
went down the age, food , winter bod or mild route and NOTHING made any repeat sense here
I just start looking from mid dec and find them all yr from there?
FYI information the growth and dropping of antlers is dependent on the testosterone level of the individual buck and why they all don't drop at the same time. He's in MS and they have a lot later rut than up north and consequently the bucks are several months later dropping their antlers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.