Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
pass-through vs. internally expended energy? >

pass-through vs. internally expended energy?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

pass-through vs. internally expended energy?

Old 01-13-2017, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah it's actually my fastest recurve. Composite limbs that are VERY fast. Only problem with that bow is it goes through strings like crazy. Still don't shoot past 30 yards with it, like all my other recurves, but I have yet to fail to pass through anything yet. Including a pretty good sized Moose a few years back. But that bugger was dang near in knife range so he really don't count
Old 01-13-2017, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll definitely take a pass-through with archery. I can't believe the lack of penetration these TV hunters get. The only time I didn't get a pass-through was when I shot a 238 pound buck quartering to. That was a nerve-wracking gut job, but I got the NAP Shockwave back.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
I'll definitely take a pass-through with archery. I can't believe the lack of penetration these TV hunters get. The only time I didn't get a pass-through was when I shot a 238 pound buck quartering to. That was a nerve-wracking gut job, but I got the NAP Shockwave back.
I can tell you why for most of them. They are in the "as fast as I can get" crowd and they think since they are fairly flat out to 50 yards that it's a good idea shoot at 50+. With those light little rigs, they don't have the energy to penetrate worth a hoot. That and a lot of them are using junk broadheads because that's who is sponsoring them. My current BowTech gives me right at 300fps with some fairly heavy arrows. At least heavy by today's standards in compounds. If that rig won't zip through the biggest of whitetails at 40 yards, then I missed and hit solid shoulder joint. Even then, it would probably get through both shoulders but I don't know if the arrow would completely get through.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never shot past 25 yards with my compound or past 35 with my crossbow. Just don't like those longer shots with arrows. Too many variables. With the crossbow, I like a nice fixed blade broadhead. No surprises there. I actually like fixed blades for my compound as well, but also have had consistent success with the NAP Shockwaves. My arrows were generally not the lightest. My old Mathews clocked 268 fps and always penetrated.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had bad luck with those shockwaves back when I went through my expandable stupidity stage. Perfect quartering away shot, 18 yards, hit the rib right behind the shoulder joint, turned and never penetrated the rib cage. Just went through under the shoulder. Saw the deer a week later and nailed it broadside with my recurve with hand made steel single bevel 2 blade. She made it about 15 steps and dropped. Got her skinned and saw the path the shockwave took. Had penetration problems from 2 other expandable BH's as well...Went with G5 Montechs and never looked back.

And there again is where kinetic energy plays a huge role in penetration. It takes approximately 5 pounds of the stored energy to deploy and utilize those expandable BH's and even MORE with those huge bladed ones. Ballistics and archery have a good bit more in common than some believe. Same principles of energy for penetration just a lot less speed and more mass (usually) in archery since you are relying solely on hemorrhagic shock rather than all the other shock values one gets from a bullet.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:01 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Sir, you really need to comprehend what has been said by well experienced people on this thread! First, a question for you. How long have you hunted big game and how many animals have you shot in the neck? Second, what has worked well for you so far has a lot more chance of going wrong than aiming for the chest or shoulder area that contains all the vitals and is a much bigger target than the small neck area. It would seem that you can't get over it when you've now come on a second thread and stated what you do and everyone else disagrees and tells you why, yet you won't accept that you're by yourself on both subjects. I guess sh54 is more than correct in that persons such as yourself have a closed mind and will not listen to what the vast majority of seasoned veterans know about a subject. So be it and I'd bet that when you shoot one in the neck one of these days and don't recover it that you won't be back to start a thread about your failure and it will happen sooner or later depending on how many times you do it!
Don't know exact number of how many deer I have taken but in 19 years at average of 5-7 a year would be prob a fair estimate. I have had 3 bucks not fall in their tracks. All with neck shots. The 3 that I didn't recover (2) of them were actually killed by another club member same year. The third one was killed the following year. All 3 of these were 17 years ago.

Yes was for all the blame on these 3 deer. Rushing a shot on 2 of them and 1 I had no business taking the shot with the narrow window of opportunity I had.

After these 3 deer I realized I was Over confident and my range time was not up to par.

I realize there may be a lot of room for error with my shots but I practice in all different weather conditions so the margin of area in my part is extremely minimal.

I don't have any problem with accepting the statements of others completely disagreeing with my shot placement. But just because a vast majority dissagree with my shot placement doesn't make it unethical.

There are a lot of animals that are shot through shoulders, behind shoulder etc.. That are not recovered every single year.

When a Hunter knows that they have a larger area for mistake a Hunter MAY not take that extra second to think before they squeeze trigger.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by dogbone13
Don't know exact number of how many deer I have taken but in 19 years at average of 5-7 a year would be prob a fair estimate. I have had 3 bucks not fall in their tracks. All with neck shots. The 3 that I didn't recover (2) of them were actually killed by another club member same year. The third one was killed the following year. All 3 of these were 17 years ago.

Yes was for all the blame on these 3 deer. Rushing a shot on 2 of them and 1 I had no business taking the shot with the narrow window of opportunity I had.

After these 3 deer I realized I was Over confident and my range time was not up to par.

I realize there may be a lot of room for error with my shots but I practice in all different weather conditions so the margin of area in my part is extremely minimal.

I don't have any problem with accepting the statements of others completely disagreeing with my shot placement. But just because a vast majority dissagree with my shot placement doesn't make it unethical.

There are a lot of animals that are shot through shoulders, behind shoulder etc.. That are not recovered every single year.

When a Hunter knows that they have a larger area for mistake a Hunter MAY not take that extra second to think before they squeeze trigger.

How long did it take you to figure out all the baloney you posted there? You have just admitted you had 3 get away from neck shooting and it's exactly because you hit them like I did that one I mentioned. Then you have the nerve to say that you know there is a lot of room for error with your shot selection, but finish the sentence with just the opposite BS to try and justify it because you're such a great marksman, LOL! That other section I bolded is also complete baloney because you know darn well that you're just trying to make excuses to try and justify what you're doing. sh54 was right on the button when he commented that you can't talk to people like yourself because you have a closed mind and think you are the only correct one and everyone else is wrong on both subjects you have posted about regarding deer hunting. Keep right on shooting your buckshot at 70 yards and your deer in the neck, but realize that you're by yourself for the most part on both because you're wrong!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-13-2017 at 06:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-13-2017, 06:26 PM
Spike

Not justifying anything just stating that just because you shoot an animal behind shoulder DOESNT. Guarantee a successful kill.

Again I didn't respond on this subject or another talking, or trying to convince anyone to place a shot where I have.

I don't care if you or anybody else shoots an animal with a sling shot and kills it. That is your choice.
You and others stated your thoughts I stated mine it is water under the bridge.

If there are other topics on this site that others are voicing their opinions/suggestions on I will do the same if I have any relation to the topic.

I haven't said anything out of the way to go against the rules of this site, haven't put anybody down. It is the internet and threads are created for discussion.

Ty for voicing your concerns of my successes and choices I will always remember them and 1 day who knows I may have to change my approach with shooting deer as none of us are getting any younger.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Speak fer yaself...I quit counting my B-Days at 50!!! That was almost 21 years ago...Aint aged a day either!!!! (covers ears from wife laughing like a damned Hyena reading that, mean woman she is...I tell ya...just MEAN!)
Old 01-14-2017, 02:18 AM
Spike

It is just another day in my book.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.