Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
pass-through vs. internally expended energy? >

pass-through vs. internally expended energy?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

pass-through vs. internally expended energy?

Old 01-14-2017, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by dogbone13
Not justifying anything just stating that just because you shoot an animal behind shoulder DOESNT. Guarantee a successful kill.

***In 65 years of hunting I've yet to see a big game animal hit through the lungs with an expanding bullet go further than I could toss it most of the time.

Again I didn't respond on this subject or another talking, or trying to convince anyone to place a shot where I have.

***IMHO when people on a thread are discussing the proper place and ammo to kill an animal quickly and humanely and one then posts like you have completely contrary to 99.9% of the others it is rather telling that someone needs to rethink what they are doing.

I don't care if you or anybody else shoots an animal with a sling shot and kills it. That is your choice. You and others stated your thoughts I stated mine it is water under the bridge.

***Fair enough, but knowing that one is by themselves on their philosophy most would think that the person that is out there by himself on a subject would rethink and change. I guess not!

If there are other topics on this site that others are voicing their opinions/suggestions on I will do the same if I have any relation to the topic.

***Fair enough again and if your opinion is contrary to 99.9% of those speaking about another subject like it has been on two different threads/subjects I'd hope that at least you would be open minded to change your method if shown to be wrong!

I haven't said anything out of the way to go against the rules of this site, haven't put anybody down. It is the internet and threads are created for discussion.

***Nobody has remotely intimated that you have violated any site rules and these Forums are absolutely for discussion and learning from those who may know more than others on a particular subject.

Ty for voicing your concerns of my successes and choices I will always remember them and 1 day who knows I may have to change my approach with shooting deer as none of us are getting any younger.
***Just another reason to aim for a big vital area that's not going to move no matter how old we are. Have a good weekend!

***My comments in reference to yours.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-14-2017 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Add On
Old 01-15-2017, 04:07 AM
Fork Horn

It appears the anti neck shot ppl are just closed minded as the pro neck shot. Just my observation
Old 01-15-2017, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I had bad luck with those shockwaves back when I went through my expandable stupidity stage.
i went through the same stage, id have an expandable work 3 times in a row and then basically bounce off a deer, after 3 times of that happening with 3 different expandables i said im done.
lots and lots of fixed blades work just fine, i just prefer muzzy because they work and are cheap
Old 01-15-2017, 06:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

The difference woodben, is that those who are opposed to neck shots have a very valid point that the odds of wounding a deer with a neck shot is substantially higher than the heart lung shot. We owe the animals we hunt more than stroking our egos so we can brag about how good a shot we are by taking those kinds of shots. That isn't closed minded, it is a reasonable, sensible and ethical position to take.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thank you Oldtimr, as that's exactly it in a nutshell!!!
Old 01-15-2017, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Neck shot at close range or high shoulder at half a mile? Which is worse according to the ethics police?

A heart/lung shot doesn't always present itself, no matter the distance...and don't forget, the guts are pretty close to a heart/lung shot...how many gut shot animals have gone unrecovered from people trying heart shots? I'm guessing a bunch more then people going for neck shots...
Old 01-15-2017, 08:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

You know what to do don't you if you don't have a good shot? You don't take the shot.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
You know what to do don't you if you don't have a good shot? You don't take the shot.
Exactly and 1/2 mile shots should be at gongs that don't move, not live animals that do!
Old 01-15-2017, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Exactly and 1/2 mile shots should be at gongs that don't move, not live animals that do!
Oh geez. Not this all over again.

To each their own, until hunters stop judging other legal hunters our community will continue suffering and losing the battle.

I can see why the old farts don't care, their hunting days are numbered by nature. But our (non-senior citizens) hunting days will get numbered by regulations unless legal hunters stick together.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Oh geez. Not this all over again.

To each their own, until hunters stop judging other legal hunters our community will continue suffering and losing the battle.

I can see why the old farts don't care, their hunting days are numbered by nature. But our (non-senior citizens) hunting days will get numbered by regulations unless legal hunters stick together.
You brought it up, not us! This long range sniping IMHO is caused by these TV shows that are strictly out to sell merchandise and make it look like things are real simple. Just buy our xxx rifle and put this xxx scope on it along with buying our xxx bullets and then just dial in and shoot that animal at 1000 yards! You and several others here that are into LR actually know how much practice and expertise with all the variables that it takes to shoot at distance while the majority out there buy into that hogwash thinking that will make them a great hunter that doesn't have to know anything other than dialing a turret, rather that how to spot/stalk, use the wind, etc. Nope, just glass that bull at the top of the hill across that wide canyon, dial in and let er rip! Where will it stop and when will this younger "entitlement" generation that is continually looking for the easy way out of about everything going to realize that it's a thrill to be close enough to an animal to hear it breathing and eating, rather than to dial in a scope and lob a bullet 1000 yards to an animal that may not even be able to be found or recovered because of the terrain involved, etc.?!
Your last comment is spot on because if this long range craze continues to where enough people are able to buy and use that equipment properly and, therefore, take more animals, all hunters will suffer because tag/bag limits will have to decrease to allow for more animals being taken than in the past. Negative comments by many hunters are already being posted on western website Forums about this craze starting to ruin the big buck hunting out in Regions G and H in southwest Wyoming. One outfitter out there that charges more than most for his services even has a school out there dedicated to long range "shooting" and caters to that clientele. I use the word "shooting", rather than "hunting" since the majority of people that are on regular websites like here at HNI feel that's what it is and why it should be limited to gongs and paper targets. Yes, it is legal and there is probably no way to feasibly limit it, but the majority that is still out there that don't do it don't have to like it.