Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Need help with public land deer >

Need help with public land deer

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need help with public land deer

Old 12-18-2016, 05:55 AM
Spike

Default Need help with public land deer

Ok I am new to whitetail hunting and am not having much luck. I hunt a Army base that holds a lot of deer. It gets a fair amount of pressure. It is over 40,000 acres. I have concentrated on a couple sections of approx. 40-60 acres. I am seeing lots of deer signs, but very few deer. Been hunting from the ground. In the mornings setting up on food plot ( no luck, seems to be a lot of acorns in deep wood). But the plots do have good signs of being used. Then scouting around in middle of the day. I have found bedding areas, places they are getting acorns, nice rubs and plenty of scat.

I need all the advice I can get!! Not sure where to set up and sit, or if I should just keep moving around? My 11year old son likes to go with sometimes, so moving around can be noisy. Have been doing my best to keep wind to my face and being quiet.

What am I doing wrong or what should I do different?

Thanks
Roger
Old 12-18-2016, 06:04 AM
Spike

I'd keep moving around in the middle of the day(10am-2pm)until I jump deer. You've then found their daytime bedding area/areas. Sounds like most of the sign your seeing is being made at night.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the forum jrbdad, I know about hunting with young kids, and they can be noisy and fidgety, but they have to be taught like we all were. That being said maybe thats the problem, to much noise/ movement? The deer seem to be feeding at your food sources, and your hunting them,your watching the wind good deal. Around here deer can get pretty nocturnal during deer season, I pattern them, game cameras are a good aid. I find they move, and i get them at 1st & last shooting hours.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used to hunt several bases when I was active duty. You may actually be trying to be too sneaky. Deer on the bases are used to people moving around and also used to a lot of equipment moving from place to place. You may be better off just "taking a walk in the woods" and seeing what happens. Deer are very attuned to what is going on around them so the sneaky approach may be counter productive. I used to hunt Fort A Hill in VA and every deer I took there I was just walking down the paths acting normal and the deer basically ignored me but when I went into sneak mode they got very wary. Think outside the box.

Additionally you could talk to the base game warden. They know the places the deer are congregating in and often want them shot because of too many deer/vehicle collisions. Additionally many times they want the deer thinned near the barracks and will allow archery hunting there. If you are finding bedding areas, you could always plop down next to a tree and wait them out. Keep trying and eventually you'll find the tracks the deer is still standing in.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just one scenario that has worked out for me in the mornings.

I set up a hundred yards from a bedding area, between where they are feeding and where they bed. They tend to use pretty much the same paths between food and bed, but it can be anywhere on around a hundred yard front (a dozen trails). I set up on one side, hopefully with the breeze in my face.

The object is to see a late feeder coming back to bed during legal shooting hours. If you can pick a spot where they cross a road or someplace else with lower undergrowth you increase your chances. The Bucks often have a licking branch, scrape or rub near where they bed. I've caught more than few visiting their favorite scrape on the way back to bed.

Thing is, older Bucks often let the Doe lead the way. If you let the Doe pass without them spooking, there is a chance a Buck is following the same direction, if not on the same trail.

I try to keep movement to a minimum, most times all you are doing moving around is spreading your scent all over the place. If I scout an area I generally let my scent die down for a few days before I set up to hunt.

Evening hunts I set up 40-50 yards from where they have been feeding. Somewhere off the path they normally use and hopefully down wind. I hope they feed the same spot, hope there are some early feeders. I usually let the first Deer into feed (I don't take the first shot). Two reasons, they are really spooky when they are moving into a feeding area, any movement, scent or sound is likely to spook them. Once Deer start feeding the other Deer hear them chewing and are a lot less watch full. The Buck often don't feed the same spot, except for the young ones. The older Buck are usually around, but maybe 50 or more yards off. Not a rule just a tendency.

One reason IMO they herd up in the colder months is because there is less cover and the more noses, ears and eyes they have looking for danger, the safer they feel.

I always figure most wildlife knows I'm around within a radius of 400 yards or so. It isn't only the Deer that bust your position. Birds or squirrels acting stupid, Fox acting sneaky, the Deer pick up on this stuff.

Thing about ambush hunting is it is iffy. Usually takes a number of trips and some long hours before you get lucky and your Deer blunders into your ambush. Young Bucks tend to be the stupidest.

I've had numerous 1 1/2 year old Bucks walk right up on me. I Mean within 15 feet. With mature Doe or Bucks this rarely (never) happens.

Like Flags said, having a lot of people around isn't necessarily a bad thing, the Deer get somewhat used to the stench. They may get spooky, but may not panic if they smell you. The areas I hunt with a lot of human traffic, fifty yards is about the limit. IMO within fifty yards your stench gets so strong their flight response takes over, especially Doe with younguns.

Good luck.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 12-18-2016 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:24 AM
Spike

Thanks for the advice. I feel like its just a matter of time, but only being able to go on Saturdays limits my time.

Will be taking my son on his first active hunt ( he has just been an observer with me ) after Christmas. Would love to get him on a deer. He is getting his first shotgun for Christmas and doesn't know it.

Keep advice coming.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jrbdad
Thanks for the advice. I feel like its just a matter of time, but only being able to go on Saturdays limits my time.

Will be taking my son on his first active hunt ( he has just been an observer with me ) after Christmas. Would love to get him on a deer. He is getting his first shotgun for Christmas and doesn't know it.

Keep advice coming.
Keeping a young one still and quiet for any length of time is real iffy. The only one of my kids I've had any luck hunting with is my youngest son. He promptly falls asleep. lol

Took my oldest daughter on a still hunt, middle of the night for Hogs. We moved up a logging road on the grass center, real slow and quiet. I unslung my rifle, look through the scope, she grabs my sleeve and says Daddy there are Hogs out there. TOTAL PANIC a dozen Hogs running every which direction. Talk about blowing a hunt, we were within 30 yards of them.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 12-18-2016 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
Keeping a young one still and quiet for any length of time is real iffy. The only one of my kids I've had any luck hunting with is my youngest son. He promptly falls asleep. lol

Took my oldest daughter on a still hunt, middle of the night for Hogs. We moved up a logging road on the grass center, real slow and quiet. I unslung my rifle, look through the scope, she grabs my sleeve and says Daddy there are Hogs out there. TOTAL PANIC a dozen Hogs running every which direction. Talk about blowing a hunt, we were within 30 yards of them.
That reminds me of a hunt up north many years ago when my Dad and I were helping the neighbor guy try to get a doe for his son. The kid was about 10 or 11 and we got him set up down at the end of a small, narrow swamp and the three of us went to the other end just a couple hundred yards from the kid. As we got about half way to him a big doe jumped up and headed his way. Bob hollered to the boy to get ready as there was a doe coming. The kid hollers back so loud you could have heard him a mile away that he was ready for her, LOL! End of that hunt!
Old 12-18-2016, 11:59 AM
Spike

I took my son with me for first time Thanksgiving morning. As we come out of some brush to a clearing he yell "Turkeys!".....

Followed by " My bad, won't happen again"

But honestly I couldn't imaging that morning being any better. Well other then shooting a big deer. But he was happy just learning the land and seeing see game.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

One thing I've learned hunting with youth hunters, if you can keep it fun and interesting, they will enjoy it even if you see no deer. Sometimes that may mean scrapping your plans just to "go see what's over there" or moving when you should be sitting because they are cold or restless, etc. I keep the focus on enjoying the woods, rather than basing success off getting a deer. I've never had a bad day in the woods....

as for public land hunting, it sounds like you are in good spots. Typically I'd say find the nastiest stuff you can and hunt it, because that's where the deer will be. But if you're in good sign the deer are around. Just keep at it. I mostly still hunt on public land, Give that a try and see if you can bump one up and get a shot at it.
-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.