Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Last Hunt Buck

Old 12-20-2016, 08:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Last Hunt Buck

Had a really good year this year going into what was to be our last weekend at the ranch for the season. 4 turkeys. 2 hogs. Saw beautiful sunrises and sunsets, and lots of deer, but the lease rules say try and take only deer that are 4 1/2 or older, and I hadn't see anything that fit the bill.

Saturday, 12/17 was a really nice day in the Texas Hill Country, 70+ degrees, t-shirt weather, all day long. Saw about 15 deer, but no "shooters." Right at the end of the evening hunt, a stiff wind came from the north and a cold front blew in. By the time we were ready to go out for the morning hunt on Sunday, it was 18 degrees. Sat the same stand on Sunday morning, saw the same deer, and expected to be shut out on deer for the season because I had ridden to the ranch with a buddy and he had indicated that we'd probably head home after the morning hunt, which I was OK with because it was freaking cold outside.

But, because it was to be our last hunt for the year, he changed his mind and decided to stay for the evening. I thought about staying in our nice, warm bunkhouse and watching a football game or something, but decided I would go back out for the evening hunt. One of the other guys had wounded and lost a buck at a different stand on Saturday. He had to leave, so I decided to sit in that blind for the evening, hoping the injured buck would show up. He never did, so I sat and watched a number of other young bucks and a couple does

At around 4:45, they all looked up and then took off running. I wondered what they had seen that spooked them, and then a very nice 9 Point strutted into the field. After 12 years hunting at this lease, I knew right away that he was a "good buck." So, I grabbed my Remmy 700 7mm-08, lined his shoulder up in the crosshairs, and squeezed. At the shot, he took off running and I had that immediate "oh crap, I missed" feeling. Waited about 15 minutes and got out of the blind to check the area where he was standing and found a chunk of meat and a big spray of bright red blood. He left a trail of sprays for about 40 yards. Found him piled up in a mesquite thicket.

Also, learned a valuable lesson when I got back to camp... When you pull a buck out of the back of your Ranger, grab by antlers and pull. I made the mistake of pulling him out by the back legs and broke his right G3 when his head hit the ground. Fortunately, the taxidermist will be able to put it back together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2016 9 Point 6 small.jpg (15.2 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg
2016 Buck 7.jpg (19.0 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by ipscshooter; 12-20-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the nice buck.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice one---Congrats! It shows you can't kill one if you're in watching a game!
Old 12-20-2016, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome......I killed a big one the last hour of the last day a few years back. Lots of fun.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

Way to go! Nice buck! Congrats!
Old 12-20-2016, 02:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Congrats on a great looking buck. Last day...last night.. That is taking it all the way to the line. Great job and will be a buck to remember. One of my hunting friends Rob, shot a nice elk that way the last night and we could have done something else other than go try for the last night miracle. Something special........
Old 12-20-2016, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on a nice buck!

Yes CI, that was a night to remember
Old 12-21-2016, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on a nice buck and a great way to end the season. I have been having the worst luck this year myself. Dealing with two bone spurs growing along my achilles tendons in both heels so very painful to walk. In therapy to avoid nasty surgery. The only deer I have gotten this year was with my truck! Have had opportunities, but just have not gotten it done. Have a couple weeks left so hopefully I can end the season on a good note myself.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

I have shot many last evening doe, but never a buck. Congrats. I've also seen antlers break while swinging them up into a truck... Gotta be careful if you save them
-Jake
Old 12-21-2016, 11:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice buck ips, looks like another good avatar.
I hunted the hill country in 2000 and 2001. I love that part of the country. Hope to do it again someday. My wife shot her one and only deer there in Llano county.
You probably already have a taxidermist but if you ever need one again, I know a very talented guy. He would do a good shoulder mount for $475.00.

C. Davis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.