Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best archery brand?

Old 12-16-2016, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Yeah, tried out a Rize and a Centergy Hybrid. The Rize I didn't like at all. The Centergy felt pretty good but didn't have the balance I like. Rollover was smooth and the wall was like a brick but I didn't like the feel of the follow through. Probably something I could easily adapt to if I ever fell away from my BowTechs. But at my age, I aint going to be pulling a bow much longer so my BowTech Experience will be my last compound I'm sure. Probably be coming over to your place and borrowing your crossbow before long
Ive never shot those...my defy is as dead as any bow Ive ever seen. The draw cycle is stiff but Ive never really cared about the draw. I was surprised I found something to pull me away from bowtech.

I havn't had the crossbow in the woods yet.... Still getting used to that thing, it makes me a little nervous. Still hoping to take a deer with it before the season ends
Old 12-16-2016, 05:05 PM
Spike

Smile

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
It's not so much as personal "likes" as it is personal "fit" and "feel". Having taught archery for many years, what I always tell my students that ask that question is to go to an archery shop that has many different brands and models of each brand and only go to those that have demo models to let a person shoot them. A compound bow is a highly personal weapon. Way more so than a rifle. You can shoot an improperly fit rifle to a reasonable degree of accuracy. You can't with a compound bow.

Your top makers are BowTech (my personal go to brand), Mathews (thieves but still okay bows), Hoyt, Martin, PSE (they have really brought their game up), Diamond (subsidiary of BowTech), Mission (subsidiary of Mathews), Elite (only 11 years old but making a dang fine name for themselves).

Your job, is to find the best fit and feel for YOU not what someone on the internet says you should use. I, and others, can tell you the better manufacturers out there for high quality products. What we can NOT tell you is what bow would be best for you.
Really a helpful comment. I appreciate that
Old 12-16-2016, 05:12 PM
Spike

So what you guys recommend? Should i go with my own test?
Old 12-16-2016, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Deer Hunters
So what you guys recommend? Should i go with my own test?
My recommendations are as posted. Adding in the G5 Prime manufacturer as I had kinda forgotten about them. As I said earlier, you need to shoot several and find one that feels right to YOU. I've owned several BowTechs, was sponsored by Hoyt for several years on the IBO circuit, had a Browning (was a junker but still killed a few deer with it) and have shot pretty much every top manufacturer out there for testing and such. I stick with BowTech bows because they fit both me and my shooting style the best. You may find you like the feel of a Hoyt better. Or a Diamond (cheaper BowTech).
Old 12-16-2016, 11:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just thought of something else. I am assuming you are new to archery. Being new means you need to seriously think about your first compound. All these latest greatest speed burner bows have one thing in common. THEY AINT FOR BEGINNERS!!! Reason being is called "forgiveness". You need a bow to start out with that will be a bit forgiving to poor form, torquing and such. High brace height and a bit longer axle to axle length. They aren't as fast but there are many on the market today that will still hit 290fps and have a ton of forgiveness. And most definitely have a "string stop" put on it. It will give you a small boost in speed and will allow a bit more forgiveness as well since the arrow will be off the string even faster. And don't fall into the "290fps aint fast enough to kill anything" stupidity crowd. I've dropped tons of Elk and Whitetail with Traditional stick and string that couldn't break 240 if I shot it from a moving truck! A good broadhead placed properly in the vitals 40 yards or closer will be a dead deer with any bow breaking 270fps.